Among the most tiring times is when a parent has to deal with a baby’s sleep regression. Your baby might have been sleeping well for some time. Suddenly, without a known cause, the baby’s sleep pattern starts to break. That is what we call sleep regressions, a condition that might be a result of illnesses, sleep stealers, or teething.
When it starts to happen, it can feel tiring and exhausting for the parents. Therefore, most of the parents wonder, how long does sleep regression last? There are a variety of answers to the question as it can take different time durations.
Considering the confusion that exists in this topic, we take our time to research how long sleep regression will last. We shall touch on things that happen in the duration. Also, we look at tips that you can take as a parent to conquer these baby sleep conditions. Consider reading the whole text for a chance to grasp a better understanding of the topic.
Common Sleep Regression
Among the most common sleep regression that your baby will experience will occur at;
- Six weeks: your newborn baby’s body is growing steadily and needs a lot of energy to develop new body cells. Therefore, the baby feels hungry at regular intervals. As a result, he or she has higher chances of waking up in the middle of the night seeking something to eat. It can last for a month or two at maximum. The best way to deal with this is to make sure the baby gets fed well to satisfaction to reduce the number of times he or she wakes up.
- 4-months: this is the 4-month sleep regression that every parent is aware of, as it happens in almost all the kids. During these months, the baby is still growing, and in addition to that, she experiences brain development. As a result, the kid gets the awareness of the surroundings and therefore suffers a lot of distraction from the environment.
Also, the baby gets used to the past tricks used to get her asleep and thus starts work against them. You might have seen in the first two months, you hold the baby, and she sleeps, and after transferring her to a sleeping pot, she continues to enjoy her sleep. Such stops to work, and immediately you put her on the bed she wakes up. Under such situations, it might take you a lot of time as a parent to get the baby back to sleep.
Note that, at this stage, the baby might start rolling from their back to front, and this might not be a perfect position for the baby to sleep. The 4-month sleep regression will last for a maximum of six weeks. Also, each child will express different sleep regression effects. Therefore, for some, it’ll take them a few days, and for others, it’ll take weeks.
If you desire to learn more on how you can deal with the 4-month sleep regression, If you don’t get prepared for the period, you can regret or feel discouraged from having more kids.
- 6-Months sleep regression: this is a type of sleep regression that occurs only if your baby wasn’t an earlier roller. When the baby starts to roll, it turns out as a big challenge for her to fall asleep again after she wakes up. Other factors that might contribute to this include hunger. However, this type of sleep regression is not as severe as the 4-month sleep regression. Here the baby doesn’t cry and can last for a month.
- 9-month sleep regression: at nine months, the baby learns how to pull herself to stand. Therefore, you’ll find her in her crib rolling and rising at night. The same as the 6-mothy stage, the baby doesn’t cry much, and will probably find her way back to sleep on her own most of the time. 9-month sleep regression can take a month or two. The best way to control it is by making sure the baby gets tired during the day so that she deep sleeps at night.
- 12-months sleep regression: at this time the baby is trying to walk. As a result, if you don’t give her enough sleep during the day, she will wake up at night to do the exercises. It can last for up to two weeks before she minimizes on the same. Make sure that she gets tired during the day so that she doesn’t get to practice at night.
These are among the most common sleep regressions that parents are aware of when it comes to babies. Knowing how long each of them lasts prepares you psychologically at the time of its occurrence. Also, it’s worth noting the approaches you can adopt towards minimizing the frequencies of the regressions. I hope that you find the article helpful in learning more about how long does sleep regression last.