The demand for organic bath products for babies is on the rise. Parents are learning that not all shampoos and body washes are created equal, and they want the safest option for their newest family member.
Unless your baby has long locks at birth, there isn’t any reason to use a separate body wash for your baby. A baby shampoo equals a body wash, so you just need to find the best organic baby shampoo for your family!
Table of Contents
- List of 9 Best Organic Baby Shampoo
- 1. Puracy Natural Baby Shampoo and Body Wash
- 2. Babo Botanicals Moisturizing Baby Shampoo and Wash
- 3. Era Organics Baby Wash
- 4. Burt’s Bees Baby Bee Shampoo and Wash
- 5. California Baby Calming Shampoo and Body Wash
- 6. Weleda Calendula Baby Shampoo and Body Wash
- 7. Baja Baby Citrus Shampoo and Body Wash
- 8. Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter Chamomile and Argan Oil Baby Head to Toe Wash and Shampoo
- 9. Babyganics Baby Shampoo and Body Wash, Fragrance-Free
- Buying Guide for the Best Organic Baby Shampoo
List of 9 Best Organic Baby Shampoo
1. Puracy Natural Baby Shampoo and Body Wash
The first product in our review list is the Puracy baby shampoo and body wash. One thing to check before making a purchase is the product rating by the Environmental Working Group (EWG).
The EWG is an organization that specializes in the advocacy of toxic chemicals. They list ratings because of the toxicity of products, so always make sure to give it a look.
The Puracy Natural Baby Shampoo gets a green rating, which means it is in clear and very safe for your baby. Let’s take a look at some of the points to remember about Puracy.
- It contains absolutely no sulfates – SLS, SLES, SCS.
- Puracy uses only natural preservatives.
- It is free of harsh chemicals such as sulfates, triclosan, formaldehyde, salicylates, parabens, phosphates, petroleum-based products, perfumes, and dyes.
Puracy was created by a team of doctors and is safe for your child. Instead of artificial fragrances, Puracy uses a subtle blend of pink grapefruit and natural botanical extracts for a delicious scent.
Another significant factor to remember is Puracy contains no animal by-products. In fact, it is a vegan and gluten-free product. The product is never tested on animals and is cruelty-free, which is important. Overall, Puracy is a great option and checks most of our boxes when it comes to containing little to no harmful chemicals!
2. Babo Botanicals Moisturizing Baby Shampoo and Wash
The Babo Botanicals shampoo is made with a good oat milk and calendula mixture, creating a lovely, subtle scent for your child. On EWG’s website, Babo Botanicals also receives a green rating, ensuring parents that this is a very safe product.
- Pure flower and plant extracts
- Paraben and phthalate-free
If you are looking for a sensitive soap for babies with dry or fragile skin, Babo Botanicals offers a very gentle, plant-based baby wash. For children with eczema-prone skin, finding the right solution can be difficult.
However, the Babo Botanicals make it slightly easier because they offer a product with no chemicals, synthetic fragrances, and artificial colors. All of those things lead to a harsher product and more reactions.
There are some other great details about the Babo Botanicals products. They are dairy and soy-free, which is especially ideal for babies. Soy is linked to many disorders as well.
There are no nut oils used in production. The shampoo and body wash are vegan products. With BPA-free packaging, you are significantly decreasing the number of chemicals introduced to your children.
3. Era Organics Baby Wash
Here is another great option for the best organic baby shampoo. Era Organics created an awesome product. Let’s look at some of the details that you need to know.
- Contains no phthalates, petroleum-based products, or mineral oil
One of the nicest details about the Era Organics baby wash is the soothing ingredients used to make their products. The baby soap contains organic chamomile tea, coconut oil, olive oil, hemp oil, raw honey, sea salt, and other great ingredients. The chamomile tea is gentle, soothing, and should help your little one sleep that evening!
With all of the gentle ingredients used, the Era Organics products are a great option for your babies with delicate skin. It is perfect for infants with diaper rash, baby eczema, cradle cap, and rashes. With the ingredients, you can help heal your child’s skin as well. Their ingredients can reduce inflammation and soothe itchy skin.
Overall, Era Organics has great ingredients, few harmful chemicals and can help your baby’s skin if it needs to be healed.
4. Burt’s Bees Baby Bee Shampoo and Wash
When it comes to natural care products for your baby, Burt’s Bees will come to mind for many people. They focus on making safe products and want parents to be able to take care of their baby’s skin with ease. Here are some of the great details.
- No parabens and phthalates
- No petroleum-based products or SLS
- No formaldehyde
Parents can trust Burt’s Bees products, in particular with a rating from the EWG as a 2 out of 10. That is a fabulous rating that you can feel confident using. With their shampoo and body wash for their babies, it is made with soothing vanilla and lavender, which are great ingredients to relax your child before sleep.
The shampoo is fragrance-free because Burt’s Bees uses natural scents for their products, such as rosewood, sweet almond, coriander fruit oil, and other ingredients.
However, something to note is that the Burt’s Bees shampoo and body wash contains sodium benzoate. Many parents prefer to avoid this chemical as well. Overall, it does score well and smells lovely for your baby.
5. California Baby Calming Shampoo and Body Wash
California Baby is developed by a mother, who cared about the chemicals in the products for her children. Their calming shampoo and body wash are made with a lovely French lavender scent. Here are some important details that you need to know!
- No Sulfates
- Contains no gluten, soy, oat, dairy, or nuts
Tear-free is often a concern for many parents because it requires a toxic chemical to make the products tear-free. However, California Baby doesn’t use a 1,4-dioxane. It also does contain sodium benzoate, which is a controversial food-grade preservative.
The calming version is made with natural fragrances; they use French lavender and clary sage essential oils. California Baby does make an unscented shampoo called their Super Sensitive version.
Their organics are made from sustainably grown vegan ingredients made in the U.S.A. Despite some disadvantages, California Baby is an attractive option for many parents. You can also get the shampoo in bulk sizes if you love it!
6. Weleda Calendula Baby Shampoo and Body Wash
Weleda is one of the most popular natural baby shampoo companies in Europe, and they are making their market in the U.S.A. now. Containing organic calendula grown in Germany, Weleda makes lovely product parents are sure to love. Here are the details about what ingredients they use!
- Free of sulfates
- No parabens and phthalates
- Contains no mineral oils
Their baby shampoo and body wash are two-in-one products so that you can clean and moisture skin and hair at the same time! This product contains a gentle surfactant made with sugar and coconut. Weleda also uses almond and sesame seed oils to help moisturize and nourish skin and hair.
The ingredients used by Weleda are great! They are gentle enough to protect your baby while still cleaning their body. You don’t have to worry about drying out their skin or burning their eyes! Also, calendula is great as an anti-inflammatory ingredient, so you can reduce reddening and swell with its use.
Weleda is gentle for babies with eczema and dry skin issues, while also being gentle on your pocketbook. Try and see why so many parents love Weleda!
7. Baja Baby Citrus Shampoo and Body Wash
Baja baby makes great baby personal care products from fabulous, natural ingredients, such as calendula, burdock root, nettle leaf, and hemp seed oil! The ingredients are full of vitamins, helping to nourish and enhance your baby’s life, which is what your best organic baby shampoo should do!
- Contains absolutely no sulfate
- No animal-derived ingredients
Because of the lack of toxic chemicals and healthy ingredients, Baja Baby makes a shampoo that is great for babies with sensitive skin and eczema. In fact, natural calendula is great for healing damaged skin and used to soothe irritated skin.
The Baja Baby citrus shampoo contains nettle leaf, which has high levels of Vitamin A and C fatty acids. These vitamins are essential for healthy hair because it ensures deep cleansing while softening the hair.
Burdock Root is perfect for irritated scalps. If your baby has a cradle cap, the Baja Baby citrus products can improve your child’s scalp issues. Also, it can lead to thicker and stronger hair with a beautiful shine.
Parents love products that can help maintain and protect their children. Baja Baby has one of the best organic baby shampoos that can lead to stronger and softer feeling hair. You will love it!
8. Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter Chamomile and Argan Oil Baby Head to Toe Wash and Shampoo
Shea Moisture started off in Africa over a century ago. Their Baby Head to Toe Wash and Shampoo is made for baby’s delicate skin with a lovely blend of ingredients.
- No Parabens and phthalates
- No paraffin
- No Propylene Glycol
- No Mineral Oil
- No added fragrance
- Absolutely no sulfates
- No animal testing
As you can tell by the extensive list of eliminated chemicals, Shea Moisture prides themselves in using some of the best ingredients for their products. The Baby Wash and Shampoo is no exception.
The Shea butter is perfect for moisturizing and repairing damaged skin with vitamins and essential fatty acids. Chamomile has anti-inflammatory properties, so you can soothe your baby’s skin as well as help them sleep that evening. Argan oil has high levels of Vitamin E for softening and smoothing skin.
The Baby Head to Toe Wash and Shampoo also contains frankincense and myrrh extract. They are used to help protect and soothe skin. The ingredients are perfect for a soothing and calm experience for your baby. There is no doubt that Shea Moisture is one of the best organic baby shampoos you can buy for your child.
9. Babyganics Baby Shampoo and Body Wash, Fragrance-Free
Babyganics makes a number of products for young babies, including one of the best organic baby shampoo. Made with non-allergenic ingredients, you can use it on the most sensitive babies without reactions.
Babyganics ensured their product is pediatrician and dermatologist tested to guarantee they have a great product. Here are some of the great details.
- Absolutely no parabens
- Contains no phthalates
- No mineral oil and petroleum-based products
- No artificial fragrances or dyes
- Never tested on animals
The ingredients for the tear-free foaming shampoo and body wash are awesome. Even though they are natural ingredients, you can be sure your baby is getting clean as a whistle. Babyganics made their shampoo with their NeoNourish seed oil blend, created with a blend of 5 essential oils – tomato, sunflower, cranberry, black cumin, and red raspberry.
Babyganics also has some other personal care products for babies including a chamomile verbena scented as well. No matter which scent or non-scented version you pick, the bubbles and soap are safe for your child’s delicate eyes. Parents all over enjoy using Babyganic products for their children. The ingredients and safety are top of the line!
Buying Guide for the Best Organic Baby Shampoo
Over the last decade, numerous studies have focused on the dangers of chemicals in the world around us. In fact, some of the results can be downright scary as a new parent. The last thing we want to do is expose our precious new babies to harmful chemicals. Many of the bath products millions of parents use contain chemicals with certain side effects.
Mainstream products contain toxic ingredients that will enter your baby’s body when you use them. The best solution is to use products containing natural ingredients. The products you choose should have ingredients such as olive or sweet almond oil, and they should ideally be fragrance-free. Here is what to know.
Yes, the smell of baby soap can be intoxicating, but it isn’t safe for your baby’s developing system. The chemicals used to create the fragrances can cause skin irritation, eczema, and allergies, along with being toxic.
To create fragrance products, the companies have to add coal and petroleum-based synthetic chemicals. They may just need to mask the smells of the other chemicals! The fragrance is in a lot of baby products, like disposable diapers, baby powder, baby shampoo, and lotions. It is a wise idea to check the labels before you make a purchase.
Phthalates and Parabens
If you read the label, you can find these two chemicals in most mainstream personal care products. They are used as a type of preservative. Phthalates are considered an endocrine disruptor. It can cause problems with reproductive systems like decreasing sperm motility and other problems such as asthma and even cancer.
Parabens are also endocrine disruptors. Studies show that they can cause reproductive problems, endometriosis, skin irritation, and even developmental disorders. It is best for parents to avoid any product containing phthalates, DEP, DBP, DEHP, and anything ending with the word “paraben”.
To prevent the formation of mold, companies add formaldehyde to their water-based products to act as a preservative. It is a scary chemical; despite being a known human carcinogen, it is still consistently added to personal care products. Not only can formaldehyde lead to cancer, but it can also cause allergy-like reactions, respiratory problems, nausea, and headaches.
Avoiding all the goods containing formaldehyde can be difficult. Here are some ingredients you may notice listed on the bottles:
- DMDM hydantoin
- Imidazolidinyl urea
- Sodium hydroxymethyl glycinate
This helps the product absorb easier into your skin, a kind of chemical referred to as a penetration enhancer. It is considered a carcinogenic chemical. Propylene glycol works by opening up all of your pores and allowing the chemicals into your skin. You can also find this product in wiper fluid, along with baby wipes. On labels, it can be listed as PEG or PPG.
We live in a world that loves all things antibacterial. However, your young baby doesn’t need antibacterial products; they need to create natural resistance and immunities so they can decrease their likelihood of allergies. Most antibacterial products contain triclosan, which is an endocrine disruptor as well as a carcinogenic chemical.
As you can tell, there are some fabulous options for the best organic baby shampoo. Whether you want scented shampoo or not, you can find an option for your family and your budget. While organic baby shampoo tends to be more expensive, it is worth the price because it will ease your mind. Exposure to all of the chemicals can be dangerous for such young systems.
Any of these nine best organic baby shampoos will leave your child feeling clean while still protecting their fragile systems. We would love to hear about your favorite products. Do you have a favorite organic baby shampoo? Let us know in the comments!
Take a look at these products from the same price range, that are available right now on Amazon:
- BABY BUM SHAMPOO & WASH. Keeping squeaky clean is super fun with our foaming head-to-toe, tear-free and lightweight foaming wash. The entire family is sure to love our gentle, full body cleanser.
- GENTLE, PLANT-BASED SKIN CARE. Our plant-based formula contains sea minerals, banana and other tropical extracts to replenish and hydrate all skin types. Vegan, Cruelty, Gluten and Dye Free to meet the needs of delicate baby skin.
- HOW TO USE. Lather two pumps of our lightweight foaming wash into baby’s hair and skin to gently cleanse fine hair and delicate skin. After bath tine, follow up with our other favorites like Everyday Lotion and Monoi Coconut Balm.
- FORMULATED FOR OUR RAD LITTLE KIDS. Specifically formulated for kids, toddlers and babies with naturally moisturizing ingredients. Pediatrician and Dermatologist tested. Paraben, Sulfate, Silicone and Phthalate free.
- TRUST THE BUM. What does that mean? It means trust us, the ones who live on the beach and need products that work on the most intense days in the sun. The simple truth is, when you make products to protect the ones you love, you make ‘em better.
- 13.6-fluid ounce bottle of Johnson's Clean & Fresh Tear-Free Kids' Shampoo & Body Wash to gently cleanse toddlers' hair and skin
- This two-in-one scented shampoo & bath wash for kids leaves hair smelling fresh all day with FreshBoost fragrance
- Specially designed to be milder than adult products, this hypoallergenic shampoo is paraben-, phthalate-, sulfate-, and dye-free, making it gentle on toddlers' developing hair
- Johnson's No More Tears tear-free shampoo formula is as gentle to eyes as pure water and is pediatrician and ophthalmologist tested. Every Johnson's product is designed to meet or exceed top internationally recognized regulatory standards
- For long-lasting freshness and results, use this tear-free children's shampoo with Johnson's Kids Clean & Fresh Conditioning Spray
- CETAPHIL BABY WASH & SHAMPOO: This tear free 2-in-1 formula blends into a rich lather to gently cleanse your baby’s delicate skin and hair leaving it soft and clean
- MOISTURIZING: Gently cleans your baby’s delicate skin and hair without drying to help retain moisture
- SOOTHING: Calendula from the marigold flower helps soothe, moisturize and soften sensitive skin while leaving a fresh scent
- DESIGNED FOR BABY’S SENSITIVE SKIN: Dermatologist tested to be safe and gentle, these formulas are also hypoallergenic and free from parabens, colorants and mineral oil that can irritate baby’s skin
- FROM THE #1 DERMATOLOGIST RECOMMENDED FACIAL SKINCARE BRAND
- FROM TIP TO TOE. Baby Dove Rich Moisture Hypoallergenic Baby Wash 20 oz gently nourishes and replenishes your baby's delicate skin, leaving it soft and moisturized
- SAFETY TESTED. Our caring baby wash and shampoo formulas are created without dyes, parabens, sulfates, or phthalates and ophthalmologist, dermatologist, and pediatrician tested
- NOURISHING BABY WASH. Made with 100 percent skin natural nutrients, which are nutrients identical to those naturally found in skin, and prebiotic moisture to support baby’s skin natural health
- GENTLE SKIN CARE. The rich, creamy lather of this moisturizing baby wash leaves baby's skin feeling clean, soft, and hydrated
- TEAR FREE & HYPOALLERGENIC. Gentle enough for newborn’s first bath, our tear free and hypoallergenic baby wash helps take the stress out of baby bath time
- 33-fluid ounce bottle of gentle cleansing Aveeno Daily Moisture Baby Bath Wash and Shampoo with natural oat extract to gently nourish and cleanse delicate baby skin and hair
- The rich lathering baby body wash and shampoo formula rinses clean without drying baby's skin and hair and leaves behind a light, fresh fragrance
- Formulated with natural oat extract, which is carefully extracted from the oat kernel for its moisturizing and soothing properties. The formula is also pH-balanced, hypoallergenic and free from soap, parabens, sulfates, phthalates, phenoxyethanol
- This tear-free baby shampoo and wash is from Aveeno, a pediatrician and dermatologist recommended brand and it is specially formulated to be gentle enough for babies sensitive skin
- Aveeno baby cleansing wash and shampoo can be used every day to help keep your baby's skin and hair feeling soft, smooth while feeling and looking healthier. To use, dispense onto a wet washcloth or hand and apply to hair and body. Lather and rinse
- 2 in 1 formula: This all in one baby shampoo plus body wash is designed to make parents’ lives easier; This baby wash is all you need for everyday bathing routines; It cleans, gently soothes, and nourishes babies’ skin and hair without over drying
- Gentle, mild, & tear free: Gentle enough for daily use, this tear free formula is made without sulfates or parabens; Our mild 2 in 1 formula is designed to clean the entire body from head to toe, leaving skin moisturized and hair soft and clean.Cruelty free
- Made without phthalates, parabens, dyes, synthetic fragrances, formaldehyde donors, or SLES: We use smart ingredients to create trusted products that work because we believe you shouldn’t have to choose between what works and what’s good for you
- Dermatologist tested: Perfect for the whole family, our tear free kids’ shampoo plus body wash with naturally derived ingredients provides a thick, creamy lather and cleans without over drying, helping to keep skin feeling and looking healthy
- Honest purpose: We love your babies; That’s why we err on the side of caution when it comes to ingredient selection, doing our best to avoid chemicals of concern; We use smart ingredients and create trusted products that work
- 2 in 1 formula that can be used on baby's skin and hair for gentle cleansing
- Enriched with Pro-Vitamin B5 and natural Shea Butter
- Helps nourish and soothe baby’s delicate skin and hair
- Tear-free, hypoallergenic and is free of soap, fragrances, dyes and drying alcohols
- Dermatologist and pediatrician recommended brand
- 27.1-fluid ounce bottle of Johnson's Tear-Free Baby Shampoo for a mild, gentle clean that won't irritate your baby's delicate eyes during bath time
- Developed with and tested by parents, this nourishing tear-free baby shampoo is mild enough for your baby's fine hair and delicate scalp while being great for kids and adults too.For external use only
- Mild and gentle cleansing baby bath shampoo is specially formulated to be as gentle to your baby's eyes as water and features Johnson's No More Tears formula
- Designed for baby's delicate skin, this shampoo gently washes away dirt and germs as it leaves hair clean, soft, shiny and smelling baby fresh. To use, wet your baby's hair with warm water, apply baby bath shampoo, gently later, and rinse
- For over 125 years Johnson's formulas have been specifically designed for baby's unique and delicate skin and hair. Our baby hair shampoo is hypoallergenic, pediatrician-tested and free of parabens, phthalates, sulfates and dyes