From the very first moment, it is important that your child gets all the essential nutrients to grow and develop healthily. While breastfeeding should always be your first choice, it is not always possible for everyone for a variety of reasons.
A baby’s digestive system is extremely sensitive, so if you turn to formula, make sure to choose one that suits your child best. To assist you in that, we reviewed many products to find the best formula for breastfed babies and toddlers.
Table of Contents
- The Best Baby Formula for Breastfed Babies Reviews
- 1. Earth’s Best Organic Dairy Infant Powder Formula with Iron
- 2. Similac Advance – Best Formula For Breastfed Babies
- 3. Gerber Good Start – Formula For Breastfed Babies
- 4. Enfamil Milk – Based Infant Formula Review
- 5. Baby’s Only Organic Baby Formula
- 6. Similac Go & Grow Stage 3 Milk Based Formula Review
- Advantages of Similac Go & Grow Formula
- 7. Earth’s Best Sensitivity Formula for Gassy Babies Review
- 8. Enfagrow Next Step Toddler Formula
- 9. Baby’s Only LactoRelief Toddler Formula
- 10. Enfamil Gentlease Infant Formula For Gassy Babies Review
- More Baby Formula Content
The Best Baby Formula for Breastfed Babies Reviews
1. Earth’s Best Organic Dairy Infant Powder Formula with Iron
A supply of essential nutrients is important for an infant’s growth and development in the first 12 months. While breast milk is the first choice for most caregivers, it is not always a possibility for everyone due to a variety of reasons. If you turn to formula, make sure you choose Earth’s Best Organic Formula for Infants.
Designed to be as close an imitation to breast milk as possible, it contains healthy servings of high quality carbohydrates, proteins, minerals, vitamins and essential fatty acids. It meets all infant nutritional requirements set by the FDA, thus ensuring its safety and benefits to infants.
Being organic, it contains no pesticides, herbicides, growth hormones, genetically modified ingredients, artificial sweeteners, antibiotics or steroids.
Age: 0 – 12 Months
Features of Earths Best Organic Formula For Infants
Being a bestseller baby formula, Earth’s Best Organic Infant Formula, has a long list of impressive features. They are all designed to provide a nutritious start to an infant and to boost healthy development and growth during the first 12 months. Here are the main features.
- Fully Organic. Earth’s Best infant formula is fully organic. This ensures that your infant receives only the best from it and with the highest safety standards. Earth’s Best Organic Formula for Infants does not contain growth hormones, antibiotics, synthetic pesticides or any other potentially toxic chemicals that could seriously compromise an infant’s development. The formula is organic certified by Oregon Tilth, an agency that has full USDA accreditation.
- FDA Standards. It meets FDA requirements on infant nutrition. This includes having all the important nutrients and being iron fortified. Iron is important in brain development, cognitive and neurological development and the formation of hemoglobin.
- Kosher Certification. For those who would like to uphold their religious principles, the formula is Kosher certified. This means that certain meat varieties are excluded from the formula and any other Earth’s Best baby products.
- Based on the Model of Mother’s Milk. It contains the same nutrients found in mother’s milk. These include whey & casein proteins, essential fatty acids (DHA and ARA), carbohydrates, minerals, vitamins and water.
- Easy to Digest. This formula is designed to be as easy as possible for digestion, making it good for an infant’s delicate and still developing digestive system.
- 100% Natural. The formula contains no refined sugars, added salt or modified starches.
Advantages of Earths Best Organic Formula For Infants
Earth’s Best Organic Formula For Infants has a number of advantages over most other baby formula brands. These make it a top choice for most parents and caregivers when it comes to finding a good alternative to breast milk.
- All Essential Nutrients Provided: Contains a wide range of minerals including magnesium, zinc, iron, manganese, copper, iodine, selenium, chloride and sodium among others. Vitamins include A, D, E, K, B1, B2, B6, B12, Niancin and Folic acid among many others. There are also proteins, carbohydrates, fatty acids, linoleic acid, fat and water. It contains up to two times the amount of DHA (a fatty acid) contained in other leading brands.
- Healthy & Safe: It is one of the safest and healthiest baby formulas you can buy. It is fully organic, lacking any toxic chemicals or heavy metals. There are absolutely no genetically engineered ingredients. Most of the ingredients used in the formula are made from whole grains to ensure the highest health benefits for the infant.
- Kosher Certified: It is kosher certified for any caregivers with certain religious affiliations.
- Affordable Price: Affordable compared to other organic formulas.
DHA and ARA are two types of fatty acids found in the formula. Though they are very healthy, there have been concerns over how they are extracted. Specifically the use of the toxic chemical, hexane has been questioned. However, the company maintains that levels of hexane are minimal and harmless to the infant.
The smell is not the most pleasant, but most parents report that this has not stopped their babies from enjoying it immensely. It will probably bother you more than it will your baby. The formula has a tendency to form clumps during preparation. Therefore it is recommended that you use warm water or buy a formula mixer.
The closest competitor to Earth’s Best Organic Infant Formula is Baby’s Only Organic Formula. They have some similarities including being fully organic and having a soy version. Baby’s Only however also sells a regular formula pack that does not contain ARA and DHA. All of Earth’s Best formulas contain these two essential fatty acids.
Another major difference is in the ingredients. Earth’s Best contains corn syrup while Baby’s Only uses brown rice syrup for carbohydrates. While Earth’s Best uses the controversial hexane extraction method for DHA and ARA, Baby’s Only uses an alternative water-based extraction method that does not make use of hexane. For a full review of the Baby’s Only Organic Formula click here!
Another lesser-known alternative is Vermont Organics Baby Formula. It is ideal for those who have a more constricted budget but still want organic infant formula over the regular type. You should however note that the manufacturer of Vermont Organics Baby Formula also uses a hexane extraction method for ARA and DHA and contains corn syrup solids.
The most important thing when you are comparing among brands is to read the labels, especially the ingredients list. Make sure that the specific brand is certified-organic and there are no questionable ingredients listed. Earth’s Best provides the most expansive list of minerals and nutrients, covering everything an infant would need. Pricing for the two top brands is roughly the same, with Baby’s Only sometimes slightly more expensive.
If you are on a search for a good, healthy, safe and affordable infant formula in the market, Earth’s Best Organic Infant Formula is a great choice. While there are several options to choose from, you will find that Earth’s Best is superior in almost all aspects. It might as well be the best organic baby formula you will find, and at a great price.
Your infant will get all the necessary nutrients to develop mentally and physically, while staying strong and healthy. Your baby’s safety is guaranteed by the organic certified nature of the formula.
While it is impossible to create an exact replica of breast milk, Earth’s Best comes close. You can be sure that your infant is receiving many of the benefits that breast milk provides.
2. Similac Advance – Best Formula For Breastfed Babies
Similac Advance Infant Formula is one of the best infant formulas in terms of how close it is to natural breast milk. So even when a baby cannot get breast milk for one reason or another, Similac Advance can help to provide the essential energy and nutrients an infant needs to grow and develop through the crucial first year.
These include DHA and ARA for eye and brain development and OptiGro, an exclusive mix of important nutritional elements for your baby.
Age: 0 – 12 Months
Features of Similac Advance
Similac Advance is designed to be as close as possible to a mother’s breast milk. This includes having roughly the same amount of calories and almost similar proportions of all the nutrients. Here are the main features of Similac Advance Infant Formula.
- Contains Prebiotics & Nucleotides. Prebiotics help to boost and maintain an infant’s digestive health. In particular, they help to promote good gut bacteria. This helps in proper digestion and prevents digestive problems. There is also preliminary evidence that prebiotics in infant formula can prevent eczema. In addition to prebiotics, Similac Infant Formula also contains nucleotides, which are beneficial for a baby’s gastrointestinal and immunological systems.
- Omega-3 & Omega-6. It contains Omega-3 (DHA) and Omega-6 (ARA). These are two extremely crucial components for a baby’s development. DHA is important in the development of the brain, eyes, heart and nervous system. Inadequate supply of it can lead to long term health problems. ARA is also important for brain and eye development. In addition, it has been found to aid in various body functions in an infant including clotting and immunity.
- OptiGro – Exclusive Blend of Nutrients. Similac Advance contains an exclusive blend of nutrients to boost and support an infant’s development. Referred to as OptiGro, this blend consists of unique proportions of DHA, Lutein and Vitamin E. These are also found in natural breast milk. Lutein is important in eye health while vitamin E aids in cellular development.
- Calcium for Proper Bone Development. Calcium supports proper bone development in the first 12 months and beyond. It is important to note that Similac Advance does not contain palm olein oil, which has been shown to reduce the absorption of fat and calcium by the body. You can therefore be sure that your baby is getting adequate calcium.
- Optimal Cell Protection. Similac Advance Infant Formula contains important antioxidants known as carotenoids. These help in protecting cells and have even been shown to prevent various forms of cancers.
Advantages of Similac Advance
- Best Imitation of Natural Breast Milk: It is one of the best imitations of natural breast milk you will find in the market. This means that your baby will be getting almost the same health and growth benefits that breast milk provides.
- High Level of Nucleotides: The level of nucleotides in Similac Advance are much higher than in other formula brands, and in particular Enfamil. This aids in the development of a stronger immune system.
- Peaceful Time: Parents using the product report that it causes much less gas in infants than most other formulas. This means a less cranky baby and a more peaceful time for all.
- BPA Free Container: The formula comes in a bottle that is BPA free. This protects your baby from various BPA-associated health complications.
- For Supplementation: Not only is it a basic infant formula, it can also be used as a supplement to breast milk and food (for infants older than 6 months).
- No Palm Olein: No palm olein oil (known for its negative effect on calcium and fat absorption) is used in Similac Advance.
Take note of the following concerns and cautions before you feed this formula to your baby. A few parents report that Similac Advance causes constipation in their babies. This is especially the case for infants being fed the formula for the first time.
Luckily, the company allows you to try out another one for free. Other side effects to look out for include bloating, mild diarrhea and vomiting. Though most infants will do fine with Similac Advance, a few might display certain side effects. These side effects range widely from baby to baby. If your baby is affected, ask for another formula from Similac or try another brand such as Enfamil.
The closest brand to Similac Advance is the Enfamil Milk-Based Infant Formula. When it comes to the basics – calories, fats, carbs and proteins – the two brands are almost the same. They both contain around 20 calories per ounce. A 100 calories potion of Similac has 10.7g carbs, 2.1g protein and 5.6g fat. For Enfamil it is, 11.2g carbs, 2.1g protein and 5.3g fat.
When you look deeper in terms of nutrients available in each formula, there are a few differences. For instance, Enfamil provides more Vitamin B12, vitamin C, vitamin K, phosphorous and magnesium. Similac on the other hand is a better source of vitamin D, biotin, niacin, riboflavin and copper. Both brands contain an adequate amount of the essential mineral, iron.
Other than the essential components mandated by the FDA, both brands have gone an extra step to supplement their formulas with additional nutrients. Similac has prebiotics that, as discussed, help with a baby’s digestion and could be helpful in preventing eczema. Enfamil Milk-Based Infant Formula also makes use of a prebiotics blend which they say helps in digestion and immunity.
One other major difference between the two brands, one that might worry you a little, is the use of the palm olein oil. In Enfamil, palm olein oil is listed as an ingredient. As discussed, this oil can reduce the body’s ability to absorb fat and calcium. Similac Advance Infant Formula does not contain palm olein oil.
Whatever differences there might be between these two brands, it is comforting to know that they both fulfill FDA’s infant nutritional requirements.
Similac Advanced is one of the leading infant formula brands on the market for a reason. Many parents will attest to its many benefits for a growing infant. From bone development to the eyes and brain to the immune system, Similac Advance Infant Formula has everything an infant will need to set a good and strong health foundation to life.
With strict safety standards applied in its production and packaging, you can be sure of its safety to your little one. In our opinion Similac Advance is the best formula for breastfed babies, that is not labeled “organic”.
3. Gerber Good Start – Formula For Breastfed Babies
Unlike adults and older children, infants are extremely sensitive to even the littlest changes in their diets. Introducing, removing or changing the amount of a single component can wreak havoc causing the baby to spit too much when feeding, experience too much gas and cry painfully from constipation. This is why it is so important that you choose the right formula for your baby.
Gerber Good Start Gentle Formula is designed to cater to the nutritional and digestive requirements of infants, right from birth to the age of one year. Its gentle makeup, which includes small comfort proteins, is perfect for infants’ still developing digestive systems.
Age: 0 – 12 Months
Features of Gerber Good Start Formula
Gerber Good Start puts a huge priority on being the best formula for infants. Here are some of its great features:
- Prebiotic Fiber for Perfect Health. Gerber Good Start Gentle Infant Formula contains a prebiotic fiber gotten from milk. The purpose of this prebiotic is to nourish and fertilize the good bacteria existing in the infant’s gut. These friendly bacteria are essential in keeping the digestive system in perfect shape. Specifically, they prevent the growth of dangerous bacteria, boost immunity, keep metabolism in check and prevent several health problems including inflammatory bowel disease and allergies.
- Gentle on Your Baby’s Digestive System. The formula consists of comfort proteins, which are designed to be small and gentle on your baby’s digestive system. This gentleness also reduces the risk of digestive problems such as gas and constipation. It also makes it ideal for infants with an especially sensitive tummy or those with allergies.
- Contains Whey Protein Concentrate. The formula contains whey protein concentrate sourced from cow’s milk. Whey protein concentrate is extremely essential to an infant’s nutrition. It provides important proteins needed for development and also contains all the essential amino acids an infant requires.
- Minerals + Vitamins. Important minerals contained in the formula include potassium, magnesium, calcium, iron, zinc and copper among others. Vitamins include choline, Niacinamide, riboflavin, vitamin A, folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12, vitamin D3 and taurine among others.
- Contains Essential DHA & ARA. To support the rapid brain development that occurs in a baby’s first year, Gerber Good Start Gentle Formula contains DHA and ARA. These two components are also essential in the development of the eyes, the heart and the nervous system.
- Made for Infants 0 to 12 Months Old. It is gentle enough for your infant right out of the hospital yet strong enough to support growth and development for the next 12 months.
Advantages of Gerber Good Start Formula
- Reduced Digestive Complications: Many parents report that it performs much better than most other formulas at reducing digestive complications such as gas and constipation. Infants who experience problems with other formulas immediately feel and feed better when they are switched to Gerber Good Start.
- For Newborns & Young Infants: The formula is gentle enough for use with newborns and very young infants. Not only does it provided a good nutritional foundation, it also helps to gently prepare the baby’s gut for more extensive digestion in the future.
- Without Corn Syrup: It does not contain corn syrup like so many other baby formulas. Corn syrup has been found to have a negative impact on an infant’s current and future health.
- Pleasant Taste: Parents report a much more pleasant taste compared to most other formulas. This makes it easier for infants to get used to it and feed without any problems.
- Daily Nutritional Guidelines Fulfilled: It fulfills recommended daily nutritional guidelines.
- For Allergy Sufferers: The product works well for babies with sensitivities and allergies.
Please take note of the following concerns, some of which have been put forward by parents using the formula.
First of all the manufacturers make use of certain ingredients that might cause concern to some parents. Specifically, it contains palm olein oil, which has been shown by researchers to inhibit, to a degree, the absorption of calcium and fat by the body. This can be problematic when it comes to proper bone development.
Secondly a few infants may experience bad reactions to the formula. These include excess gas, spitting up and constipation. If this happens, it is important to check whether your baby has certain sensitivities or allergies. You should also note that this formula is not organic. Though it is generally safe and has all the right nutritional components for an infant, Gerber Good Start is not fully organic. If you are looking for something organic, consider other brands such as Earth’s Best and Baby’s Only.
Last but not least there are a few complaints regarding how hard it is to properly and quickly mix the formula with water. Not only does it take long to mix well, it also leaves clumps, which can make drinking it hard for the baby.
The best comparables to Gerber Good Start are Enfamil Milk-Based Infant Formula and Similac Advance Baby Formula. All three brands are non-organic but are considered some of the best baby formulas in the market.
Immediately sets itself apart by not containing palm olein oil whose concerns we have already discussed. Gerber and Enfamil both make use of this oil.
All three brands have probiotics to help nourish a baby’s bacteria colony in the gut. But when it comes to taste, Gerber Good Start is a winner among many parents. It is also considered the best for babies that are prone to sensitivities. It performs best in reducing constipation, spitting and excessive gas.
When it comes to nutritional components in the formulas, they all satisfy minimum recommendations. They all provide roughly the same kinds of minerals, vitamins, carbohydrates and proteins.
Although each brand has its own unique benefits, the most important thing is to find one that works best for your baby. He or she may not respond so well to Gerber but experience no problems at all with another brand like Enfamil.
According to many parents Gerber Good Start is the best infant formula, that supports the first year growth of a baby. It is gentle on the tummy and contains plenty of nutrients to ensure that the baby grows up well and has a good early foundation. This is very important since the development and nutrition of a baby in the first few months can determine his or her health for years to come.
You can opt to feed your baby exclusively this formula; it has everything an infant needs right from birth to 12 months. You may also opt to supplement breast milk with it. This is usually necessary when breast milk production is not adequate. When a baby starts feeding on food (after six months) it also serves as an excellent nutritional supplement.
4. Enfamil Milk – Based Infant Formula Review
Enfamil Infant Baby Formula is milk-based and does a great job of closely mimicking natural breast milk during the first 12 months of a baby’s life.
With DHA to support brain and eye development, probiotics to help boost the baby’s immunity and all other essential nutrients an infant needs, there is no doubt that Enfamil Infant Baby Formula provides one of the healthiest life beginnings for infants. For parents who cannot breast feed, this formula is an excellent alternative.
Age: 0 – 12 Months
Features of Enfamil Milk-Based Infant Formula
Here are some of the main features that make Enfamil one of the most popular infant formulas with parents:
- Close to Mother’s Milk. Enfamil Infant formula is closely patterned on a mother’s breast milk, to ensure that the baby is getting similar benefits. This includes having the same nutritional components as breast milk in roughly similar proportions. This helps a baby achieve all the important development milestones on time.
- Omega-3 (DHA) & Omega-6 (ARA). It contains DHA (Omega-3) and ARA (Omega-6) to promote healthy brain and eye development. Normally, an infant’s brain more than doubles in size from birth to the end of the first year. To support this rapid growth, the above two nutrients are extremely essential.
- From 0 to 12 Months. Designed for infants right from birth to the age of 12 months. It contains everything babies need for physical and neural growth during this period.
- Natural Defense Probiotics Blend. The baby formula contains a Natural Defense Dual Probiotics Blend to help in both digestion and immunity. Probiotics essentially support maintaining the health of the gut by nourishing friendly bacteria. With a healthy gut, good digestion is guaranteed. Since an infant has 70 percent of its immune system in the gut, probiotics also play an important role in boosting immunity.
- Optimum Brain Development. The formula is labeled as Neuro Complete. This means that it is designed to help in all areas of brain development. This includes growth of its physical size, cognitive abilities, proper communication, social development and motor development.
- Vitamins & Minerals. Vitamins contained in the formula include riboflavin, thiamin, B12, B6, A, D, E and K among others. Minerals include calcium, magnesium, phosphorous, manganese, zinc and iodine among several others. It also contains protein, fat, carbohydrate, water and linoleic acid. Linoleic acid is broken down by the body to form DHA and ARA.
Advantages of Enfamil Milk-Based Infant Formula
Compared to several other brands, Enfamil Infant baby formula has the closest profile to breast milk. This means that it also provides some of the best benefits for the baby. Further advantages are:
- For Infants & Premature Babies: Not only does the formula work well for infants, it is also recommended by many pediatricians for premature babies. If breast milk production is not enough, Enfamil can be used to ensure that the baby cruises during this period successfully.
- Right Blood Sugar Levels: Unlike some formulas that use maltodextrin (table sugar), Enfamil uses only lactose-based carbs. These are the same carbs found in breast milk. They help maintain normal blood sugar, brain development and energy synthesis.
- Quick And Easy Preparation: Many parents report that they find Enfamil easy to prepare. It does not take too much time to dissolve properly and does not leave clumps when mixed with water. Some formulas are notorious for this. The easy and quick preparation also makes it perfect for when you are travelling.
- All FDA Requirements Met: Enfamil infant formula fulfills all requirements by the FDA on infant nutrition.
- Higher Levels of DHA & ARA: Enfamil has significantly higher levels of DHA and ARA than comparable formulas, especially Similac. Enfamil has 17mg while similac has 11mg.
Here are a few of the concerns by experts and parents you should take note of before buying the Enfamil Infant Formula. First of all it makes use of palm olein oil. Studies have proven that this particular oil reduces the absorption of calcium by the body. This can negatively affect bone development.
Other studies have also shown that palm olein oil in baby foods is related to less frequent and firmer bowel movements. Secondly the formula does not perform as well as other brands when it comes to reducing gassiness, colic symptoms, constipation and spitting.
Most parents have especially noted the frequent occurrence of gas and stomachaches with this formula. To alleviate these problems, switch to Enfamil Gentlease or try another brand that will be friendlier to your baby’s tummy. Many parents also describe the taste as unpleasant. However, this does not seem to be a factor in how well the baby reacts to the formula. At this time, luckily, babies are not so sensitive to tastes.
The closest infant formula to Enfamil Infant Baby is Similac Advance Baby Formula. Both pass FDA infant nutritional requirements and are very popular with parents. If you take a close look though, you will find a number of differences.
As mentioned above, the levels of fatty acids vary in both products. DHA and ARA levels are significantly higher in Enfamil Infant formula than in the Similac Advance. Though this is not a guarantee that Enfamil is better for brain and eye development, it still makes it a more appealing and comforting option for most parents.
When it comes to the use of vegetable oils, Enfamil’s milk-based baby formula loses several points for using palm olein oil. In fact, Similac, which does not use palm olein oil, claims that with its formula, babies absorb 50 percent more calcium than babies using Enfamil. Though this is not a substantiated fact, it is proven that plam olein oil negatively affects calcium absorption.
On most other aspects, the formulas are quite similar. They both contain probiotics and have similar vitamins and minerals.
Being one of the most popular infant formulas and also one of the most pediatrician-recommended, Enfamil Infant Baby Formula has been a blessing for many parents. Though there are a few reports of gas, stomachaches and constipation, most parents report only good things about the formula. It has all the right nutrients and its benefits, like those of breast milk, last for years after.
5. Baby’s Only Organic Baby Formula
In recent years, there has been an increased focus on organic baby formula. Parents want safe and healthy baby food that they can confidently feed to their babies. Baby’s Only Organic Toddler Formula is certified organic and guaranteed not to contain toxic chemicals, additives or growth hormones. With all the right nutrients for your infant’s growth and development, this might just be the perfect formula for your baby.
Please note that Baby’s Only Organic Toddler Formula is designed for babies older than one year, although it can also be used to supplement breast milk for younger babies older than six months.
Age: 12+ Months
Features of Babys Only Organic Baby Formula
Baby’s Only Organic Toddler Formula is a product of Nature’s One, a company known for its commitment to organic and healthy baby food products. Here are some of the features of this formula. They will show you just why it is one of the most popular toddler formulas with parents.
- Superior Quality. Only superior quality ingredients are used in the formula. Certain undesirable ingredients such as corn syrup, hexane extracted DHA and palm olein oil are not used at all. Corn syrup (also called glucose syrup) adds excessive and unnecessary sugar to a baby’s diet, which can cause various health problems including childhood obesity. Hexane, used by some companies in the extraction of DHA (Omega-3), is a known toxic chemical. Palm olein oil has been found to reduce the absorption of calcium and fat, which can affect a baby’s development.
- Vitamins, Minerals, Trace Elements & More. The formula fully satisfies the American Academy of Pediatrics recommendation on infant and toddler daily nutrition. Fat soluble vitamins found in it include A, D, E and K. It also has water soluble vitamins such as niacin, biotin, folic acid, choline and vitamin C. Minerals include calcium, prosperous and magnesium. Trace elements in it include iron, manganese, iodine, copper, selenium and zinc. It also contains measured proportions of carbohydrates, fatty acids (DHA and ARA) and protein.
- Fully organic. Baby’s Only Organic Toddler Formula meets and surpasses all the stringent organic standards. This means that it costs more than non-organic brands, but you can be sure that you are paying for the best nutritional foundation for your baby. The whole process from the milk used to the creation of the formula sticks to strict organic standards.
- Electrolytes Included. To help support a baby’s physical growth and ensure proper body functions at all times, Baby’s Only Organic Toddler Formula contains electrolytes. They include potassium, sodium and chloride.
- Made in USA. To further ensure the quality and safety of its formula, Nature’s One carries out all production processes in the United States.
- For Allergy Sufferers. Since the formula does not contain any corn syrup, it is ideal for babies who exhibit gluten or corn allergies.
Advantages of Babys Only Organic Baby Formula
Here are some of the reasons why Baby’s Only Organic is above many other brands of baby formula:
- For Babies at Any Age: Baby’s Only Organic Toddler Formula is suitable for use with babies at any age. This is not just a product for infants or toddlers; you can also use it with older kids. A good suggestion by the company is to mix it in breakfast cereal. The formula is denoted as “for toddlers” mostly to encourage parents to breast feed until one year of age.
- Safe & Healthy: Extreme measures are taken to ensure that the final product is fully organic, thus providing safety and health guarantees for your baby. Even the milk used is gotten from organically raised cows that have not been given any growth hormones or antibiotics. Also, none of the ingredients are genetically modified.
- Great Taste: Many parents report that it has a much more pleasant taste than most other formulas, notably the organic brand Earth’s Best. In fact, one parent suggests that its taste is very close to that of natural breast milk. This makes it easy to feed to babies
Baby’s Only Organic is a leader when it comes to organic formulas. So there are very few bad things about it. Most of the problems might occur due to not following instructions or a unique negative reaction by a baby’s body. For example, some parents report constipation. This often occurs when babies are fed the dairy-based formula. If this happens to your toddler, you can try the soy-based one.
Additionally Baby’s Only Organic is not ideal for newborns. This is one of the reasons why the company specifically notes that it is designed for toddlers. For newborns, either breastfeed or use newborn-specific formulas. Baby’s Only Organic is best used from around six months of age when the baby’s digestive system is better developed.
Baby’s Only is best compared to its closest organic competitor, Earth’s Best Organic Sensitivity Formula. Both are certified organic and they adequately meet daily nutritional recommendations for babies. Earth’s Best is however better for very young infants and is in fact designed for them. It works better for their delicate digestive systems.
Earth’s Best contains DHA and ARA that is extracted using the controversial hexane method. This method potentially adds the toxic hexane to the formula. Though the company maintains that the levels are very low and harmless, it is more comfortable to go with Baby’s Only which does not use the hexane extraction method.
Earth’s best contains corn syrup, which Baby’s Only lacks. This is a plus for Baby’s Only Organic Baby Formula. Another difference is in the taste, where Baby’s Only is considered to have a much more pleasant taste than Earth’s Best.
Other differences that might occur between the two brands will depend on the individual baby. Some babies might be okay with either brand while some might experience gas or constipation with one of the brands. The most important thing is to find a brand that is right for your baby and which you have full confidence in its safety.
On the whole, it can very well be said about the Sunny Spin Bike that it has all the features of a complete indoor cycling bike. It does not fail to impress the customers because of its high value features and low price. The presence of a heavy flywheel, transport wheels, noiseless chain drive system, adjustable resistance system and an adjustable seat make the bike a must buy for every workout enthusiast, who wishes to have an indoor spin bike.
No other product can beat the kind of deal that the Sunny Spin Bike offers. The durability and simple and sturdy design of the bike has helped it to fetch a number of satisfied customers as well as many others who are willing to try it in the future.
6. Similac Go & Grow Stage 3 Milk Based Formula Review
As the leading infant formula brand, Similac has gained the trust of many parents in keepings their babies healthy and happy. Similac Go & Grow Stage 3 Milk Based Formula keeps up with the quality and benefits provided by other Similac products. It is designed for toddlers who now have more nutritional and energy demands to keep up with their rapid growth.
It is helpful if you are not sure whether your child is getting enough nutrients. This can be a major concern for parents especially now that toddlers are depending mostly on normal foods whose nutrients compositions can be hard to keep track of.
Age: 12 – 24 Months
Features of Similac Go & Grow Formula
Similac Go & Grow toddler formula contains more than 25 essential vitamins and minerals to cater to all of your toddler’s nutritional needs. These nutrients include vitamins, proteins, minerals and carbohydrates.
Attention: It is very important to note that this formula is not for babies who have diagnosed galactosemia. This is a health disorder that is characterized by the inability of the body to process the simple sugar, galactose. This sugar is a part of lactose, which is present in the Go & Grow Formula and can cause health complications.
- OptiGRO for Optimal Development. OptiGRO is a Similac exclusive blend of Vitamin E, Lutein and DHA designed to support various facets of a toddler’s health. DHA, also found in fish, is crucial in the proper development of the brain and the eyes especially between the ages of 0 to 3 years when the brain develops to 85% of its adult size. Lutein, also found in spinach, is a type of carotenoid that is extremely crucial for the development of eyes. Vitamin E, on the other hand, has a number of health benefits including boosting the immune system, maintaining proper blood circulation in the body and support of developing cells.
- Ideal with Fruit Smoothies. The recommended method of preparation involves mixing it with smoothies. Simply mix it with fruits such as bananas, peach and apples and blend to get a super healthy Similac-powered smoothie. Refer to the product label for recommendations on the amount to use in smoothies. By the way, for a different taste, try the Go & Grow by Similac Vanilla. This might just be the right alternative for a toddler who is very sensitive to taste.
- Alternative to Whole Dairy Milk. It is an ideal alternative to whole dairy milk especially for babies who are not fond of cow milk or those who are sensitive to it. If your toddler has serious lactose sensitivity, it is best that you opt for the Go & Grow by Similac Sensitive instead of the regular type.
- Designed for Toddlers. It is designed specifically for use with toddlers. This is a toddler formula and not a recommended infant formula. Its nutrient composition may not be ideal for an infant (younger than one year).
- Balanced Nutritional Intake Ensured. It serves as an excellent compliment to a toddler’s normal diet, which ensures a balanced nutritional intake even for picky eaters.
Advantages of Similac Go & Grow Formula
Here are some of the benefits you can expect from Similac’s Go & Grow toddler formula.
- Great Taste (for Picky Eaters): The taste is great. Adding it to smoothies or milk adds a pleasant flavor guaranteed to appeal to kids. This is good for toddlers that are very picky in terms of taste. Therefore it is a great solution for kids who are not eating well. If your child is a picky eater or is displaying a low appetite, try this formula. Even for toddlers who are eating well, they may still not be getting enough nutrients from normal food. Go & Grow contains the right nutrients to prevent any deficiency and will ensure that the child continues to add weight normally.
- Beneficial to Your Kid’s Health: The Similac’s Go & Grow toddler formula is beneficial to different aspects of a toddler’s health including the immune system, the brain, the eyes, the bones and teeth and general physical development.
- Introducing New Tastes with Ease: By presenting new tastes in an easy way, Similac Go & Grow eases the transition to adult foods. During this transition, it ensures that your child is still getting all the necessary nutrients.
- Similac Tummy Care Guarantee Included: If your toddler exhibits a negative reactions such as constipation or gas to Go & Grow, take advantage of Similac’s Tummy Care Guarantee to try another one for free.
- User Friendly Design: The container it comes in has a very friendly design that makes it easy to hold and use.
This formula is highly rated and very popular meaning that parents have very little to complain about. Here are some of the few mild concerns you might want to note. At first you have to know that this formula is only for toddlers.
If you have an infant, you have to wait until he or she is at least one year old to use it. Furthermore for parents who want an organic toddler formula, this is not it. The ingredients are safe and healthy but not certified organic. Although rare, some toddlers may experience digestive problems like constipation and gas. If it happens, switch to another alternative such as the lactose sensitive one.
Another popular toddler formula is Enfagrow Toddler Next Step. Both formulas are designed specifically for toddlers and contain the same basic ingredients. Both also have a pleasant taste and can be used in a variety of ways including in water, in whole milk, in cereal and in fruit smoothies. The good flavor ensures that kids quickly fall in love with it.
With Similac Go & Grow however, parents report less constipation and gas. If your child is susceptible to these issues, you might find the Similac for toddlers a better choice than Enfagrow.
Baby’s Only Organic Baby Formula is another option for toddlers with the biggest difference being that it is organic. It is ideal for parents seeking for an all-natural option. You should consider Kabrita Toddler Formula if you want one that is based on goat milk. Kabrita is also non-GMO. For a full review of the Baby’s Only Organic Baby Formula click here!
As with most other available products, the most important thing is to find a formula that your toddler responds well to. Luckily, most brands carry different formulas to cater to different toddler needs.
A toddler’s nutritional needs are just as important as an infant’s. Similac Go & Grow ensures that your child continues to receive what he needs and grows in a normal and healthy way. With plenty of nutrients, a pleasant taste and great packaging, it is an excellent formula for your toddler.
7. Earth’s Best Sensitivity Formula for Gassy Babies Review
In search of the best organic baby formula, we did not want to miss out Earth’s Best Organic Sensitivity Formula. For parents who prefer pure organic when it comes feeding their baby, then Earth’s Best Organic Sensitivity is one of the best options for infants who have sensitivity problems with regular formulas.
Sticking to the organic principles Earth’s Best is known for and ensuring that all necessary nutrients are present, this product is a great solution to the headaches many parents experience when the baby won’t stop being fussy. It is low lactose and contains nutrients in an easy to digest form.
Age: 0 – 12 Months
Features of Earths Best Organic Sensitivity Formula
Earth’s Best Organic Sensitivity is the first organic formula the FDA approved for infants who are extra sensitive. In both organic and non-organic circles, it is one of the most popular infant sensitivity formulas. Below is a list of its main features:
- Certified Organic. This is a USDA certified organic product. This is a guarantee that it contains no artificial flavors or colors, preservatives, genetically modified ingredients, steroids, growth hormones, antibiotics and pesticides/herbicides. There are very strict safety and organic checks right from the source of ingredients to the formula preparation process. For example, the milk giving cows are raised under strident conditions; no growth hormones, antibiotics or steroids.
- For Tummy-Sensitive Babies. Earth’s Best Organic Sensitivity Infant Formula was designed specifically for tummy-sensitive babies for use exclusively during the first six months and as a food supplement for the remaining six months. The formula uses a blend of carbohydrates that are easy to digest and meant to be easy on a baby’s delicate gut.
- Contains DHA & ARA. It contains two very important fatty acids; DHA and ARA. These ingredients have been proven essential for the development of the infant’s brain, eyes, heart and nervous system. For every 100 calories of the formula, there are 17mg of DHA and ARA.
- Low Lactose-Level. It is low-lactose in nature, making it ideal for infants with increased sensitivity towards lactose. It contains 95 percent less lactose than regular milk-based formulas.
- Kosher-Certified. The formula is certified kosher, perfect for those who want to stick to their religious requirements in regards to diet.
- Meets FDA Requirements. It meets all FDA requirements on infant nutrition. Some of the nutrients contained in the formula include vitamins, minerals including iron, protein, fat and carbohydrates.
Advantages of Earths Best Organic Sensitivity Formula
Here are some of the reasons why Earth’s Best Organic Sensitivity baby formula is among the most popular in the market:
- Eases Digestive Problems: It has been rated highly when it comes to easing digestive problems in infants such as gas, spitting and constipation. Parents also say that it acts very quickly with some claiming that their baby’s fussiness disappeared immediately after the first feeding of Earth’s Best.
- Better Mineral Proportions: Compared to other formulas, this one has slightly better mineral proportions. For instance, it has 2.1mcg or micrograms of selenium compared to 2mcg in Similac Sensitive and 7mg or milligrams of magnesium compared to 6mg in Similac Sensitive.
- Breast Milk Imitated: The formula’s ingredients and their proportions have been imitated to recreate breast milk as much as possible including its many benefits. Like breast milk, it has a higher proportion of whey to casein.
- Reduced Gassiness: It has very little lactose content compared to some other sensitive formulas such as Enfamil Gentlease, just 5 percent of normal content. This helps a great deal to reduce gassiness in lactose-sensitive infants.
The manufacturer uses the highly controversial hexane extraction method to obtain DHA (omega-3) and ARA (omega-6) used in the formula. This is a concern for many parents since traces of this toxic chemical might remain in the baby food.
Besides, the formula contains glucose syrup solids as a source of carbohydrates. This is simply sugar. Its use in baby formula has raised a lot of concern among experts and parents due to the potential health effects including the increased risk of childhood obesity, addiction and teeth problems such as dental cavities.
In addition to that, like many other manufacturers, Earth’s Best includes palm olein oil in its sensitivity infant formula. Studies have indicated that infants fed food containing this oil develop with lower bone mineralization. This negatively affects the hardness and strength of bones. The reason for this is that palm olein oil inhibits, to an appreciable degree, the absorption of calcium. Calcium is essential to strong bones. Palm olein oil has also been found to cause harder and less frequent bowel movement in infants.
Finally, many parents experience problems when preparing the formula. For one, it takes a lot of time and patience for the mixture to form. Secondly, the powder has a tendency to form clumps even after lengthy mixing.
The closest comparable product is Similac Sensitive Infant Formula. One major difference you will notice about the formulas is their price. Earth’s Best is $1.15 per ounce and Similac Sensitive is $0.98 per ounce.
However, Earth’s Best Organic Sensitivity Formula works better than Similac Sensitive, contains slightly more minerals and has been rated as more pleasantly tasting. Most importantly, it is organic while Similac Sensitive is not. This means no potentially harmful ingredients such as preservatives and artificial flavors or colors.
The use of syrup solids, palm oil olein and hexane-extracted DHA and ARA are major concerns for parents planning to use or already using this formula. But there are also plenty of good features your infant can benefit from. It might not be the very best organic formula, but it still all the nutrients necessary for your baby to go through the first 12 months of life outside the womb.
8. Enfagrow Next Step Toddler Formula
After the first year of breast or formula feeding, babies still need good nutrition to continue with their growth and development. Enfagrow Toddler Next Step Natural Milk Powder takes over from breast milk or infant formula to continue giving your baby the nutrition he or she needs form the age of one year up to three years.
It supports various facets of growth including brain development, immune boosting, and bone growth. It can be used as a supplement for breast milk and food.
Age: 12 – 36 Months
Features of Enfagrow Toddler Formula
As a toddler formula, Enfagrow Toddler Next Step covers everything a toddler requires to continue being a happy and healthy child. This includes fulfilling the increasing energy demands and most importantly, providing adequate nutritional support during a crucial age.
The formula is a nutritious and sometimes more ideal alternative to cow milk, due to the fact that some babies may be sensitive to cow’s milk. This milk is also low in iron and certain other nutrients important to a developing toddler.
- Vitamin C for the Immune System. It contains vitamin C, which helps in supporting the immune system, thus keeping your toddler healthy in every aspect. Vitamin C is also a potent antioxidant meaning that it protects body cells from damage. Enfagrow Toddler Next Step provides 25% of the recommended daily intake value.
- Iron-Fortified Formula. The formula is iron-fortified. Iron is important in making hemoglobin, an essential component of red blood cells. Though it is unlikely that your child is in danger of iron deficiency, it is still advisable to take caution and use an iron-fortified toddler formula. Iron is also an important building block for the toddler’s brain.
- DHA & ARA Included. It contains DHA and ARA, which are crucial for the development of your baby’s brain and eyes. At this point, the brain is still developing at a quick rate (85% during the first 3 years) and having the right nutrients made available determines even the future physical and mental development of your child.
- For Toddlers Aged 1 to 3 Years. The ingredients used and their proportions are designed specifically to cater for nutritional and energy needs for toddlers. So please note that this is not an infant formula. It is not recommended for use for infants younger than one year.
- Calcium, Vitamin D, Zinc & More. In order to build strong bones and teeth, Enfagrow Toddler Next Step Natural Milk Powder contains calcium, vitamin D and zinc. Other nutrients contained in the formula include fiber, sodium, biotin, niacin, folic acid, magnesium riboflavin, copper and vitamin A among several others.
- Prebiotics + Probiotics. Enfagrow Toddler Next Step baby formula contains an exclusive Natural Defense Dual Prebiotics blend to support and boost the digestive health of toddlers. In addition to that the formula contains probiotics to help in maintaining a healthy digestive function.
Advantages of Enfagrow Toddler Formula
An Ideal Nutritional Supplement for Toddlers
This formula has plenty of beneficial nutrients perfect for a toddler. If you are worried that your child is not getting enough vitamins and minerals, rest easy with this toddler formula.
- Versatility: There are many ways you can feed Enfagrow’s Next Step to your toddler. The most common one is mixing it with water. To make things more interesting for your kids, try mixing the powder with whole milk or soymilk. You can also add it together with milk to breakfast cereal. Many parents say that it lasts longer when you mix it up with other foods and drinks and also adds great flavor to food.
- For Fussy Eaters: It is ideal for toddlers who are fussy eaters. If your kid is having trouble eating, due to either a health issue or low appetite, Enfagrow Toddler Next Step toddler formula can help. Not only does it ensure that the child does not experience any nutritional deficiencies, it can also help the child add weight in a normal, healthy way.
- Appealing Flavor: Parents report that it has a great tasty flavor that appeals to toddlers. In addition, they praise its easy and quick mixing as well as its longevity.
Please take note of the following concerns. The baby formula is not designed for infants. For parents looking for an infant formula, this is not it. You have to wait until your child is one year old to use it. There are however many other brands you can use with your infant including Enfamil, Earth’s Best and Similac.
Additionally the formula contains corn syrup solids. This ingredient has been linked to an excessively high sugar intake and can be especially bad for toddlers. Your toddler might become “addicted” to sweet things. Besides, corn syrup has been found to increase the risk of health problems such as diabetes and liver damage.
Finally a few parents have reported constipation and gas in their toddlers after feeding them this formula. For such parents, there are certain toddler formula brands that cater for specific needs. Some are for kids with sensitivities and allergies, while others are ideal for kids who tend to be gassy. You can also find those that contain soy milk instead of dairy milk.
Another popular alternative for toddlers is Baby’s Only Organic Baby Formula. Unlike Enfagrow, Baby’s Only is not limited to just toddlers, it can also be used for infants. So you can start with Baby’s Only when your baby is a newborn and keep using it long after that without having to switch to a toddler formula.
It is also important to note that Baby’s Only is fully organic meaning that it does not contain any toxic chemicals, artificial sweeteners or GMO products. This is not to mean that Enfagrow is not safe for your child.
When it comes to comparing tastes, both are relatively good but Enfagrow Next Step Toddler Formula is considered by many parents to be tastier. This is especially important for toddlers who at this age have developed an increased sensitivity and pickiness for taste. The pleasant taste makes it much easier to incorporate the formula regularly in their diets.
Another lesser-known option for toddlers is the Kabrita Non-GMO Goat Milk Toddler Powder Formula. As its name suggests, it is one of the few products that uses of goat’s milk instead of soy or cow milk. It is best for children with known sensitivity for cow’s milk.
You toddler has done well throughout the first year, make sure that he keeps on with the excellent development by using Enfagrow Toddler Next Step toddler formula. It caters for everything including brain and eye development, proper bone development and a strong immune system.
9. Baby’s Only LactoRelief Toddler Formula
It’s one of the most expensive products in the market right now, costing $4.79 per ounce and probably the best organic baby formula available. Baby’s Only LactoRelief Toddler Formula is marketed as a feeding solution for babies who have lactose intolerance or sensitivity.
It is also ideal for parents who want to avoid soy protein in their baby’s diet. It is certified organic and meets all guidelines by the FDA and American Academy of Pediatrics for infant nutrition.
Age: 0 – 24 Months
Features of Babys Only LactoRelief Toddler Formula
You may have noticed that most formulas by Baby’s Only are referred to as toddler formulas, the LactoRelief being no different. Though it can be comfortably used for toddlers aged one year and over, it also meets all nutritional guidelines for infants.
This means that it can also be used for infants in their first 12 months, which is what most parents do in fact. The Toddler tag is to encourage mothers to choose natural breastfeeding for the first year of life.
- For Lactose Intolerance. Baby’s Only LactoRelief is made for babies who are sensitive or intolerant towards lactose, a type of sugar found in milk. Lactose intolerance occurs when the body is unable to digest milk sugar, causing various digestive issues including nausea, gas and stomach upsets. The formula does not contain any lactose. All has been removed by means of an enzyme process that is organic-compliant. Therefore it’s the best formula for gassy babies out there.
- Fully Organic. The formula is fully organic meaning that there are no certain ingredients such as preservatives, artificial flavors and colors, pesticides or herbicides, growth hormones, antibiotics and steroids.
- For Infants & Toddlers. It is ideal for toddlers as well as infants. When you look in depth at the ingredients and proportions, you will find that it is similar to most other infant formulas, with the biggest difference being the absence of DHA and ARA. It is even approved by the FDA for infant use.
- All Necessary Nutrients Contained. The formula contains all the necessary nutrients for an infant through the first year and for a toddler beyond the first year. It contains carbohydrates, protein, fat, water, fatty acids, electrolytes, minerals, trace elements and vitamins.
Advantages of Babys Only LactoRelief Toddler Formula
- Feeding with a Clear Conscience: Since it is certified organic, you can be sure that there are no harmful ingredients or substances lurking in it. You can feed it to your baby without any worries.
- Hexane-Free: It does not contain hexane, a toxic chemical used by most formula companies to extract DHA.
- All FDA Requirements Met: It meets infant nutritional requirements set by the FDA and the American Academy of Pediatrics. You can therefore feel safe and comfortable about what you are feeding to your baby.
- For Tummy-Sensitive Babies: Many parents have reported that the formula works wonders when it comes to relieving sensitivity problems. Most babies fed this did not have issues such as gas, diarrhea and stomachaches.
- No Corn Syrup, No Palm Olein Oil: The company takes care not to use any controversial ingredients in the LactoRelief formula. There are absolutely no corn syrup solids (also called glucose syrup solids) used in it. Secondly, the powder does not contain palm olein oil, which can lead to a baby developing weak bones.
- Supports Brain Development: Even though there is no DHA and ARA in the formula, there are plenty of other fatty acids that support rapid brain development that takes place during a baby’s early life outside the womb.
- Good Value for Your Money: Even though it is expensive, Baby’s Only LactoRelief for toddlers is a level up from other formulas, even organic ones, in the market.
First and foremost Baby’s Only LactoRelief is expensive. If you are looking for a low or medium-budget formula, this is not it. As mentioned, it costs around $4.79 per ounce. Most others range from $1 to $3 per ounce. But you can save some money by buying in cases rather than individually.
Above that some parents might express concern that the formula does not contain DHA and ARA. While these two ingredients are crucial in the development of the eyes and brain, there are no definitive studies showing any benefits from adding them directly to the baby food.
Even the FDA does not require them to be available in baby formulas. The body of a baby can make these DHA and ARA from other fatty acids found in formula. If you are breastfeeding in addition, then the breast milk already provides sufficient DHA and ARA. However, if you still feel uncomfortable due to their absence, you can buy them in powder form and add to the formula when preparing it.
In many ways, Baby’s Only LactoRelief is a step up from most other organic sensitivity baby formulas such as Earth’s Best Organic Sensitivity infant formula. Pricing is of course an obvious difference, with LactoRelief digging deep into your pockets. Earth’s Best is at a much lower $1.15 per ounce. So if you are looking for a more budget-friendly but organic sensitivity formula, try Earth’s Best.
Another major difference between the two is the presence of DHA and ARA. Only Earth’s Best contains them. But as discussed, this does not mean that a baby fed Baby’s Only LactoRelief will suffer.
It is not a major issue to be worried about. Like so many other formulas, Earth’s Best uses various controversial ingredients. These include corn syrup solids and palm olein oil. In addition, it also uses a hexane extraction process to obtain its DHA and ARA. Baby’s Only does none of these.
Sure, the price tag is high but the product is worth it. You are getting something that is fully organic, only uses the highest quality ingredients and provides complete nutrition for both infants and toddlers.
Unlike most other formulas, you do not have to worry yourself over corn syrup solids, palm olein oil or hexane. Baby’s Only LactoRelief, the best organic formula, guarantees safety and also health for your little one.
10. Enfamil Gentlease Infant Formula For Gassy Babies Review
During the first few months, a baby’s digestive system is super sensitive. It easily reacts to even the smallest changes in diet. This is the primary reason why not all babies respond well to a specific type of formula.
To solve this problem, companies have come up with special powders meant to solve problems such as too much gas, constipation and spitting. Enfamil Gentlease is one of these specialized infant formulas. The company claims that it can put an end to most feeding problems within 24 hours of its use.
Age: 0 – 12 Months
Features of Enfamil Gentlease Infant Formula For Gassy Babies
Enfamil Gentlease is marketed as a solution for babies who experience fussiness, when using the regular products such as the Enfamil infant formula. As you would expect, its features vary slightly from the regular formula but there is still a major focus on ensuring that the baby gets all the necessary nutrients for the first year of development.
- For Tummy-Sensitive Infants. The formula is designed specifically for tummy-sensitive infants who exhibit fussiness from too much gas or stomach upsets after using the regular formula.
- Lactose-Reduced. It contains much reduced levels of lactose, around a fifth of the lactose level in regular Enfamil infant formula. This is meant to reduce gas and stomach upsets in infants who are lactose-sensitive.
- Easy to Digest. A partially broken down protein blend for easier digestion by babies is used. Additionally, the broken down proteins elicit very little allergic reaction.
- Similar to Natural Breast Milk. Enfamil Gentlease is very similar to natural breast milk. A good example of this is the whey and casein ratio. In both breast milk and Enfamil Gentlease formula, the ratio is around 60:40. Not only does this matter nutritionally, it also helps to reduce negative gut reactions from the baby after feeding.
- All Necessary Nutrients Contained. The formula contains all the necessary nutrients to serve as an exclusive source of nutrition for the first six months and as a food supplement for the remainder of the first year. These nutrients include protein, fat, carbohydrate, water, linoleic acid, vitamins and minerals and meet the DFA requirements for infant nutrition.
- DHA & ARA for Eyes, Heart, Nervous System. It contains DHA, ARA and various other essential nutrients to provide for a full and healthy neuro development during the first 12 months. This includes the normal development of cognitive, social, motor and communication abilities. These two fatty acids are also essential for the development of the eyes, the heart and the nervous system.
Advantages of Enfamil Gentlease Infant Formula For Gassy Babies
- Reduces Abdominal Problems: It is more effective than the regular Enfamil formula in relieving gas, constipation, spitting and stomach upsets. Furthermore, it acts relatively fast, within 24 hours, making it one of the best formula for breastfed babies in terms of tolerance.
- Suits Sensitive Babies: Reduced lactose levels suit sensitive babies. The lactose in Gentlease is about 20 percent the amount found in regular milk-based formula.
- Eases Digestion: Partially hydrolyzed or broken down proteins are used to ease the digestion process for the baby. This ensures that the delicate developing digestive system is not overwhelmed, which can cause some of the common digestion issues.
- Easy to Mix: Like the Enfamil Infant Baby Formula, Enfamil Gentlease also mixes very easily. There is no need to keep stirring to get it to mix well. Also, it does not leave clumps behind. According to most parents, it does not form too many bubbles when mixing, which can contribute to gassiness. This is unlike other formulas that tend to get frothy.
Some of the problematic issues noted by experts and parents include the lack of the prebiotics blend found in Enfamil infant formula. Prebiotics, though not essential for a baby, have been shown to help in digestive and immunity development. Infants on Enfamil Gentlease will miss out on the benefits of prebiotics.
Furthermore there are two specific ingredients in Enfamil Gentlease that do not bring much comfort to parents. The first one is corn syrup solids. Feeding corn syrup to babies has been associated with higher rates of childhood obesity, increased risk of behavioral disorders such as ADD, dental cavities and nutritional deficiencies. The other ingredient sparking concern is palm olein oil.
To a certain degree, this oil inhibits the absorption of calcium and fat by the body, further increasing the risk of nutrient deficiencies. Another problem many parents complain about is the unpleasant taste.
Notably, this same problem also occurs with the regular Enfamil formula. Unless your baby is especially sensitive to taste, the taste will probably not be a major problem. On top of that, instead of completely eliminating lactose content in the formula, it is simply reduced.
Although experts report that lactose intolerance is rare before age 2-3, many parents still report gas problems even after switching to Enfamil Gentlease. This is probably due to the still-present lactose. Parents using lactose-free formulas report better gas relief for their babies.
Another brand that serves the same purpose as Enfamil Gentlease is Similac Sensitive Baby Formula. They are both designed to respond to the needs of sensitive infants. Reading from parents’ and caregivers’ comments, it seems that Similac Sensitive does a much better job of easing digestive problems than the Enfamil Gentlease formula. Perhaps it is due to the still-present lactose in Gentlease. Similac Sensitive contains no lactose at all.
So if you have tried Gentlease and the baby still keeps spitting up and being overly fussy, try Similac Sensitive, which is also said to have a more pleasant taste.
Another difference in the content of the two sensitive formulas is the presence of prebiotics. Similac Sensitive is the only formula between the two that has them, thus offering infants slightly added advantages over the Gentlease baby formula.
A mother’s breast milk automatically varies its content to suit the needs of a baby. If only it were that easy with formula. This is why you might have to jump from one brand to another in search of the right formula for your baby. If you have yet to try Enfamil Gentlease, do try it. It has broken down proteins, reduced lactose content and all the nutrients your baby needs for the first year.
It is highly recommended that before you even choose a formula, especially for a very young infant, ask your doctor for a recommendation.
How to choose the best baby formula?
Accessibility is one of the biggest factors to consider when choosing a baby formula. Most babies should be offered a standard iron-fortified milk-based infant formula, but you have to pay attention if your baby has some special needs and consult with your pediatrician.
What is the closest baby formula to breast milk?
Finding a formula that tastes like breast milk is very important. Generally speaking, human milk is very sweet, and baby formula has a consistent taste, so if your baby doesn’t like the taste of infant formula, it could be because it’s simply not sweet enough. In this case, you can try a sweeter brand, but be mindful of the sugar content.
Is it OK to give baby formula while breastfeeding?
Giving your baby formula in addition to breastfeeding is called supplementing. It’s completely OK and perfectly safe to do.
Can I mix baby formula with breast milk in the same bottle?
If you’re wondering if you can mix breast milk and formula in the same bottle, the answer is yes! Mixing breast milk and formula in the same bottle can make feeding time more convenient.
How long will it take for my baby to adjust to formula?
If your baby was only breastfed up until now, it is best to make a gradual change, giving yourself enough time to adapt. It can take approximately one week for your baby to adjust to the new formula. It is also possible to mix formula and breast milk for a while before making a complete switch to formula.
More Baby Formula Content
American Academy of Pediatrics Infant Feeding Guidelines
The American Academy of Pediatrics has published information on their website about how and when to introduce formula to your baby’s diet. Clear guidelines and instructions are provided for infants of up to three years. The topics breastfeeding, bottle feeding, food introduction, healthy snacking, foster self-feeding and healthy drinks are covered in the website article.
Since breastfeeding can impact obesity, as a parent it is important to have all the necessary knowledge that is available. Especially because breastfeeding is harder than most parents expect, which is why they might introduce baby formula too early in their kid’s life.
Basics for Formula Feeding Babies
If you are interested to know more about the basics of preparing formula and important feeding tips for new parents and your newborn, you should take the time and watch this brief video provided by Melissa from cloudmom.com. If you have decided to stop breastfeeding or are unable to meet your milk supply needs, talk to your doctor about formula feeding!
It coveres the three main types of baby formula and features some examples of cow’s milk, lactose-free and soy-based formula. Melissa also talks about the different advantages and disadvantages of a liquid and powdered formula. Enjoy!
Take a look at these products from the same price range, that are available right now on Amazon:
- 4 TUBS: Make sure you don’t run out; get 4 tubs that make approximately 116 6-fl-oz bottles
- GENTLE INTRO TO FORMULA: Specially designed for breastfeeding moms who choose to introduce formula
- PREBIOTICS FOR DIGESTIVE HEALTH: Approximately 10% more prebiotics than Similac Advance to help promote digestive health
- PROMOTES STRONG BONES: Palm olein oil-free fat blend for excellent calcium absorption[1,2]
- Contains 1 - 20.5 ounce container of baby formula milk powder
- First and only baby formula in the US containing the ingredients Lactoferrin and MFGM making Enfamil Enspire our closest ever infant formula to breast milk
- Lactoferrin is a protein found in colostrum and breast milk that provides immune support and intestinal development, and MFGM has been shown to support mental development. Omega 3 DHA and Choline are...
- Proprietary blend of baby probiotics designed to provide immune support, and clinically proven to promote digestive health
- Brought to you by Enfamil, the Pediatrician Recommended Brand
- Modeled After Breast Milk & made with carefully sourced premium ingredients! Featuring organic lactose, the principal carbohydrate found in breast milk, our formula provides key vitamins and minerals...
- With 4x More Prebiotics than most other organic infant formulas. Our formula delivers 2 prebiotics, GOS & FOS - fibers that mimic the function of prebiotics found naturally in breast milk, which...
- Happy Baby: We provide organic, delicious options for your baby's nutritional journey; Happy Baby offers baby food pouches, organic cereals, teething wafers, baby snacks and more made for your little...
- Happy Family Organics: We are on a mission to change the trajectory of children's health through nutrition; We provide age and stage appropriate premium organic food products for baby, tot, kid, and...
- Our Happy Promise: All products are certified USDA organic, made with non-GMO ingredients grown without the use of toxic persistent pesticides and in packaging made without BPA, BPS, or phthalates
- INFANT IMMUNE SUPPORT: Similar to breast milk, Mama Bear Advantage Baby Formula has the prebiotic 2'-FL HMO for infant immune health and digestion; Compare to Similac PRO-ADVANCE Infant Formula
- COMPLETE NUTRITION: Mama Bear Advantage Baby Formula contains nutrients like those found in breast milk, such as DHA (Omega-3), Lutein and Vitamin E, to support growth, brain and eye development
- NO ARTIFICIAL GROWTH HORMONES: Mama Bear Advantage Baby Formula's dairy ingredients come from cows raised with no artificial growth hormones; Ingredients are non-GMO and gluten free; Certified Kosher...
- FDA STANDARDS: Like all infant formulas sold in the US, Mama Bear Advantage Baby Formula Powder with Iron meets FDA standards, the same as the national brand; Compare and save
- VITAMINS AND MINERALS: The first year is a time of rapid change for your little one; Mama Bear Advantage Milk-Based Baby Formula Powder with Iron contains 27 vitamins and minerals to support baby...
- MODELED AFTER BREAST MILK: Pure Bliss by Similac is thoughtfully crafted nutrition modeled after breast milk
- NO COMPROMISE: With NO artificial growth hormones, antibiotics, or palm olein oil, and it’s non-GMO
- FOR BRAIN & EYE DEVELOPMENT: Pure Bliss has DHA and ARA, key nutrients to support brain & eye development
- FROM THE MAKERS OF SIMILAC: Thoughtfully crafted nutrition that starts with fresh milk from grass-fed cows
- MAKES 282 (4FLOZ) BOTTLES: Six 24.7oz cans of Pure Bliss by Similac make approximately 282 (4floz) bottles
- ON THE GO: Convenient and ready-to-use bottles, perfect for late night feedings or on-the-go moms. Made with non-GMO ingredients
- HELPS TO EASE COLIC: Delivers Clinically-Proven Relief when managing colic due to cow’s milk allergy for a happier, better-rested baby & mom
- FAST RELIEF NOW: As early as the first feeding, with 90% of infants improving within 48 hours
- BRAIN SUPPORT: Nutramigen is a gentle, lactose free baby formula that has important nutrients found in breast milk such as Omega-3 DHA, ARA, and Choline that provide brain support
- IMMUNE SUPPORT: Helps support baby's immune system to return to consuming traditional milk protein formula without an allergic response
- Probiotic Formula: Nan 1 formula features probiotic L. Reuteri that supports digestive health
- Give Your Baby A Good Start: Nan 1 Infant Formula features prebiotics, probiotics, DHA, iron, Vitamin & minerals
- Nutrition For Growing: Like your baby, we're always growing & learning. More than ever we're committed to being your partner in parenthood with quality ingredients, nutritious food & expert guidance.
- Gentle Nutrition: Modeled after the complete nutrition & gentleness of breastmilk, this formula offers soothing nutrition for babies up to 12 months. Comfort for your baby means happiness for all!
- The health and safety of your little one has been and will always be Gerber’s highest priority. We're a leader in infant nutrition, not just because we grow food that will feed your little one, but...
- VITAMIN A, C and D SUPPLEMENT FOR BABIES: Contains vitamins A, C, D for breastfed infant
- SUPPORT GROWTH and IMMUNE HEALTH: This liquid vitamin A, C and D supports breastfed infant's growth and immune health
- DID YOU KNOW: If a mother has low vitamin A, her breastfed infant is likely to be vitamin-A deficient by 6 months of age
- PEDIATRIC VITAMIN BRAND: From the maker of Enfamil which is also the Pediatrician Recommended Infant Formula Brand
- NO ARTIFICIAL COLORS and FLAVORS: Does not contain artificial colors and flavors and is also Gluten-free