Board games are one of the most entertaining ways to socialize and educate with family or group of friends. Some games, however, are not as fun in bigger groups. Either they require a lower number of players, or you have limited contents of the game set. In these cases, not all players get engaged enough and quickly lose interest.
Although this can present as a challenge, there are games that play excellent in groups of around 6 players. With these, you will be able to organize a party game night without fearing that someone will be left out. In this article, we will walk you through some of the top picks for board games that 6 players can play.
Table of Contents
- List of best 6-player Board Games
- 1. Catan Board Game Extension
- 2. Arkham Horror 3rd Edition Board Game
- 3. Deluxe 221B Baker Street Board Game
- 4. Agricola: 5-6 Player Extension
- 5. Secret Murder Across Time & Space
- 6. A Game of Thrones CATAN Brotherhood of the Watch Board Game EXTENSION
- 7. Realm of Wonder
- 8. Betrayal at House on The Hill
- 9. Dicey Peaks
- Buying Guide
List of best 6-player Board Games
1. Catan Board Game Extension
Coming from Catan Studio, this is the base game extension that was initially for 3 or 4 players. You will be able to add more players to your game night party with this set since it is recommended for 6 players most.
In this game, players assume the roles of the leaders of civilizations and compete for territory across the board against other players. Winning new territories will gain you victory points, and the player who gets the most wins. The game has a simple set of rules that are easy to learn but quite challenging to master, so you get a high replay value.
With the extension pack, the playtime is increased, and matches can last even up to 90 minutes, even longer in some cases. The extension also added new territory tiles to balance the playability for a higher number of players. The game is recommended for players that are 10 years of age and older, so it can be very entertaining for the whole family.
2. Arkham Horror 3rd Edition Board Game
Arkham Horror 3rd Edition is a cooperative board game coming from Fantasy Flight Games. It is based on the works of H.P. Lovecraft and is suitable for 6 players. It is recommended for the age of 14 and older and provides you with 2 or 3 hours of playtime.
Players will take the roles of detectives and explore the streets of Arkham in order to solve mysteries that trouble them. The game is placed in the year 1926, and people celebrate the end of War to End All Wars.
However, evil lurks in Arkham streets, and citizens get terrorized by Alien beings named Ancient ones. Players are tasked to investigate this matter and save the city from these terrifying monsters by finding clues, fighting, and recruiting allies.
The game is layered and can expand greatly, depending on the number of players you involve in it. It can be played solo, but the experience changes from roleplaying to a strategy-oriented game. The more players, the deeper the exploration of the city. It is atmospheric and narrative-driven, so even board game beginners will appreciate and enjoy it.
3. Deluxe 221B Baker Street Board Game
221B Baker Street is an address in London, placed in the legendary, fictional world of Sherlock Holmes. The game can be played by at least 2 or as many as 6 players and is recommended for ages of 14 and up.
Players start on 221 Baker Street and explore London, fishing for clues in order to solve some intriguing cases. You will assume the roles of Sherlock and Watson, and each case you get will be presented on the cards you get in the set.
There is a total of 200 case cards in the pack alongside with game board, tokens, skeleton key cards, solution booklets, Scotland yard cards, clues, solutions checklist pad, and of course, a rulebook.
The game can be played both competitively and cooperatively. It is an intriguing game with complex riddles and subtle clues that will keep you and your friends engaged and entertained for hours.
4. Agricola: 5-6 Player Extension
Coming from Lookout Games, this Uwe Rosenberg’s classic board game can now be played by 6 players. It is an expansion of the original Agricola game and adds new cards that are adjusted for the expanded player count.
Same as the original, players will assume the roles of farmers to develop their land and gather resources. The expansion provides you with new farmyard boards, room tiles, and food markers. There are also 48 new occupations granting you, even more playtime and replayability.
The essence of the game remains the same, and there are no significant changes in the gameplay. You will find improvements in food gathering and some new options that were not available in the base game. It is fun for the whole family and an absolute gem for your board game collection.
5. Secret Murder Across Time & Space
Secret Murder Across Time & Space is a mystery board game designed for 6 players and offers you four playtime hours and more. It is an excellent teamwork game that will make you think and follow subtle clues all the way until the mystery is solved.
Players take on the roles of suspects in the murder that happens in NDE Company. Their job is to investigate clues and find evidence that will prove they are innocent. Each player gets a unique backstory for their character, which deepens immersion even more.
The clever twist is that one of the participants is the murderer and should hide it till the very end of the game. Players are encouraged to role play and act based on the scripts that they get. Once everyone finishes their individual tasks, there is voting to determine who the killer is.
Other players may mislead you in order to finish their tasks, so play cautiously. It is an intriguing game that immerses you into a dystopian future where the story takes place. Great for party game night with your friends or family
6. A Game of Thrones CATAN Brotherhood of the Watch Board Game EXTENSION
Coming from the CATAN store, this expansion opens up the possibility to add up to 6 players to the game. It is suitable for ages 14 and above and offers you between 60 and 90 minutes of gameplay with huge replay value.
The rules are pretty straightforward for beginners but offer depth that will keep you engaged and entertained for hours. You assume the role of one of the 6 brothers of the Night’s Watch and compete to become the new Lord Commander through the series of tasks.
The goal to defend the wall is still one of the most important objectives. You are tasked to build roads, buy new development cards, and recruit guards. The expansion pack also provides you with a new set of hero cards, including John Snow, Osha, Gilly, and Aemon Targaryen.
The game does not require any knowledge of the book or TV show, so even players that are not fans can have lots of fun playing it. The board and pieces look visually appealing, and new cards add unique and entertaining angles to the game.
7. Realm of Wonder
Realm of Wonder is a tactical role-playing board game designed for 6 players. The game takes place in the fantasy world, and it was created by Tactic Games US. It is recommended for players that are 10 years of age or above.
At the start of the game, each player receives a scenario objective that he needs to complete in order to win. Players are divided into continents and subcontinents across the board. They compete against each other and face various monsters and obstacles on their journey.
Players will encounter different treasures and awards throughout the game, empowering their character and boosting their abilities. Once tasks and scenarios are completed, players return to the center of the board to the king’s castle.
Realm of Wonder is a beautifully designed game with a set of rules that beginners easily comprehend but also deep enough to keep seasoned players engaged and entertained. A must-have in your board game collection.
8. Betrayal at House on The Hill
Betrayal at House on The Hill is an immersive board game coming from Avalon Hill Store. It will provide your gaming party with roughly one hour of gameplay and high replay value. The game is recommended for players that are at least 12 years of age or older.
Participants design the haunted mansion room by room and afterward take the role of one of the six players that will explore it. The game builds suspense right from the start since one of the players secretly betrays the team, and the rest are tasked to defeat him.
During playtime, participants encounter various spirits and frightening omens that build up tension and suspicion. The goal of the players is to get alive out of the mansion.
Betrayal at House on The Hill comes with 50 different scenarios that create new and exciting ways you can play the game. Game pieces and other content that arrive in the pack are very detailed and contribute to the chilly atmosphere game intends to create.
9. Dicey Peaks
Coming from Calliope Store, Dicey Peaks is an exploration board game for the whole family. The game plays best when you have between 2 and 6 active players, and it is recommended for ages 8 and older.
Players assume the roles of mountain climbers on dangerous Mt. Everest, K2. As the game moves on, the climb gets more treacherous and dangerous. Participants need to manage the oxygen level, and each turn, they have options to move or rest.
Higher in the mountains, players will encounter dangers such as Yetis, forcing them to move even when it is not their turn to play. The ultimate goal is to reach the top and win the game.
The beautiful design of pieces and equipment you get in the set increases immersion even more. The board has 29 tiles that offer you various possibilities and replay value.
In order to purchase the right game for your 6-man gaming crew, you need to consider some factors that will ensure you spent the money the right way. In the section below, we have listed some guidelines that will help you make this purchase.
Concept of the game
The concept of the game holds great importance for board games, especially for larger gaming groups. This is why it is crucial to find the theme that will suit all party members. The best way to approach this is to discuss it with them and decide which game to buy together.
Rules are a big determining factor when picking board games. If your gaming party has younger members, you should probably opt for a product that has a comprehensible set of rules that will ease them into the game.
However, if your gaming crew has seasoned and experienced players, consider looking for rules that can challenge them and make the whole gaming night more enjoyable.
The replay value of the game is extremely important. It often can determine how valuable the game really is and how much time you will spend playing it. The amount of content and size of the board can be clues of how lengthy the game is and how many times the game can be replayed.
However, that is not always the case since the rules of the game can also dictate the game’s replayability.
Single-game length is an important factor to consider when purchasing a board game. You should pick the game that fits the length of your gaming sessions. Games can vary between only half an hour to hours and hours of exciting gameplay, so you should choose the product accordingly.
The depth of your pocket is undoubtedly an essential factor. Prices of board games vary from cheap to very expensive, so make sure you have reviewed all guidelines we have listed above to get the best product possible for your money’s worth.
Why are some board games recommended for 6 players?
The number of player recommendations is mostly marked because the game plays the best when multiple players are involved. Those games generally have rich content and high replay value. If fewer players play it, the content might be overwhelming and boring, and multiple participants balance it perfectly.
What features should a good 6-player board game possess?
Apart from the obvious 6-player option, the game should have engaging and immersive content, high replay value, and a concept that best suits your gaming party members.
What are the benefits of 6-player board games?
These games expand your gaming party. They are way more interesting when multiple participants are involved. It is a great social event and helps you bond with friends, family, and your loved ones.
Can you cooperate in 6-player board games?
Of course. There are many different options that you can go for. Some games are specially designed for cooperation and can divide you into teams or 2 or 3 players, or you can all work together toward the same goal.
Although a 6-player gaming party might seem overwhelming, it offers you lots of fun. Some games can become drastically more interesting if you add one or two extra players. Issues often arise when some players are left out during the game or just do not get enough playtime. With the games we have listed, that will no longer be the case.
We hope this article will help you pick the proper game for your crew. Consider the products we have listed and the pieces of advice we shared with you to make the right choice. Pick the game or two, and may your game nights be filled with laughs and entertainment!
Also, don’t miss these board games:
- STORYTELLING GAME: Dixit is the classic, simple, lighthearted game of storytelling and guesswork where your imagination unlocks the tale. Every picture tells a story – but what story will your...
- CREATIVE GUESSING GAME: Each round, one player selects a card and thinks up a clue inspired by the card. The other players all choose cards that they think match the clue. The cards are shuffled and...
- ENGAGING DREAMLIKE ILLUSTRATIONS: Dixit features 84 cards with original artwork illustrated by Marie Cardouat that depicts fantastical situations. The gorgeous art brings your imagination into...
- EASY TO LEARN: The basics of the game are simple and straightforward. While players earn points in this game, the real victory in Dixit comes from sharing a creative experience with your family and...
- NUMBER OF PLAYERS AND AVERAGE PLAYTIME: This board game for adults and family can be played with 3 to 6 players and is suitable for ages 8 and older. The average playtime is 30 minutes.
- Explore the National Parks in a New Way - Created by National Park enthusiasts, this board game lets you explore all 62 National Parks - from the comfort of your home. Share your love of the great...
- Educational Game for the Entire Family - We've included educational elements for the whole family to learn about each National Park: the plants, animals and beautiful landscapes. Jam-packed with...
- Retro-Style Travel Art - Every element of the National Parks Board Game has been hand painted by artists at Anderson Design Group. Our goal is to create art the way it was done before the era of...
- Perfect for Teens and Adults Alike: Each game comes with two playing styles so you can make it as easy or challenging as you'd like! Up to 6 players will compete to win. We hope you can see and feel...
- What’s Included: This game includes the beautiful, hand-designed board game, easy to follow rules sheet, 6 animal player tokens, 1 dice, 62 park passes, and 48 keeper cards. It’s been matte...
- STRATEGY GAME: Build your tracks across the United States in this fast-paced and strategic board game. Connect iconic North American cities across a map of the 20th-century USA and build your train...
- FUN ADVENTURE GAME: Ticket to Ride is a cross-country train adventure game in which players collect and play matching train cards to claim railway routes connecting cities through North America!...
- MULTIPLE WAYS OF SCORING POINTS: Players collect train cards that enable them to claim railway routes connecting cities throughout North America. The longer the routes, the more points they earn....
- FAST AND EASY TO LEARN: With elegantly simple gameplay, the game can be learned in under 15 minutes and enjoyed time and time again, whether it's your first time building a rail empire or an old...
- NUMBER OF PLAYERS AND AVERAGE PLAYTIME: This family and adult board game can be played with 2 to 5 players. The average playtime is 30-60 minutes. PLAY WITH ALEXA: Using a compatible Echo device, say...
- Work together to contact all of your agents before the other team!
- A perfect party game experience for game nights
- 2-8+ player (in two teams)
- 15 minutes playtime
- English (Publication Language)
- STRATEGY GAME: You are a leader of one of the seven greatest cities of the Ancient World. Gather resources, develop commercial routes and affirm your military supremacy. Build your city and erect an...
- TAKE CONTROL OF YOUR CIVILIZATION: Players draft cards over multiple rounds, carefully building towards long-term goals. Keep an eye on your neighbors’ progress since they share similar ambitions....
- CIVILIZATION WAS BORN FROM EVOLUTION: One game of 7 Wonders plays over the course of three rounds, called Ages, during which you will choose cards with increasingly powerful effects. Each card you...
- HOW TO WIN THIS GAME: At the end of each age, each player compares their military strength with one of their neighboring cities. When the third age is over, players score the points given by their...
- HIGH REPLAYABILITY AND PLAYER ENGAGEMENT: 7 Wonders offers quick gameplays which keep players engaged regardless of player count. The game allows multiple strategy opportunities which makes each game...
- MYSTERY BOARD GAME: A horrible crime was committed on the grounds of Warwick Manor thirty years ago. Now the mansion is haunted by the ghost of the murdered servant and it’s up to a group of psychic...
- COOPERATIVE BOARD GAME: One player takes on the role of the victim (who is now a ghost) and the rest play as psychics. Over the course of the game, players work together to solve a mystery by...
- INTERPRET VISIONS TO SOLVE MYSTERIES: Each player investigates a case assigned to them to determine who the actual murderer is. Psychics receive numerous visions from the ghost with clues. Can they...
- HIGH VARIABILITY: Dozens of different suspects, weapons and locations ensure no two games are the same! LOOKING FOR A NEW CHALLENGE? Expansion sets are available (Expansions require base game to...
- NUMBER OF PLAYERS AND AVERAGE PLAYTIME: This family and adult board game can be played with 2 to 7 players. The average playtime is 45 minutes.
- STRATEGY GAME: Adventure awaits any swashbuckler brave enough to command a fleet. Conquer islands to gain valuable resources. Build and upgrade your ships with masts and cannons. Wage war against...
- EASY TO LEARN: The thematic and intuitive gameplay allows new players to quickly grasp the rules and will have you helming your battleship through the Caribbean in no time. The rulebook also contains...
- HIGH REPLAYABILITY: The game board is created by combining six different double-sided ocean tiles which create a unique map configuration each time you play. You’ll never play the same map twice,...
- GIFTS: This modern classic appeals to both beginners and veteran gamers. Fun for adults, couples, families, kids, teens, high school and college students. Perfect for birthday gifts and Christmas...
- NUMBER OF PLAYERS AND AVERAGE PLAYTIME: This pirate game is designed for 2 to 6 players, plus a team play option. Average playtime is 20 minutes per player. There is no player elimination, so every...
- A Kitty-Powered Russian Roulette Card Game - The hit party game for family and friends who are into kittens and explosions and laser beams and sometimes goats.
- A Simple Card Game for Kids and Adults - Perfect for all occasions, including a family game night, beach trip, road trip or drinking with friends!
- Game Of The Year Award Winner - More than 10 million copies sold, breaking records in kids games, adult games and everything in between.
- Beginner-Friendly, Just 2 Minutes to Learn - If you draw an Exploding Kitten, you lose and you are full of loser sad-sauce. All the other cards in the deck help you avoid or mitigate your risk of...
- 56 Cards, with Box and Instructions - A simple card game for kids, drinking, kittens, and adults, not in that order.
- Perfect gift for board game lovers, adults, teens, tweens and all smartphone addicts!
- Cards offer 1,200 unique trivia questions and challenges across six different trivia categories - TV, music, movies, law and politics, history and technology, and everything else!
- 3 or more players or teams; Ages 13 to adult; 30-60 min. play time
- This award-winning game is compatible with ALL smartphones (smartphone not included); no app required
- The Uproarious Game of Smartphones and Phone Smarts - only your phone needs to be smart!
- GAME OF ZANY ACTION ON A CRAZY CONTRAPTION: Remember playing the Mouse Trap game as a child? Create special moments by introducing your kids and grandkids to this favorite family game
- ACTION-PACKED FUN: Scurry to the finish! This fun kids board game challenges players to get their mouse around the gameboard without getting trapped
- BUILD THE MOUSE TRAP, BUT DON'T GET TRAPPED: Take turns building the Mouse Trap while moving around the gameboard. Use the trap to capture opponents' mice. Be the last mouse standing to win
- PRACTICE VALUABLE SKILLS: When they play the Mouse Trap board game, kids can practice skills such as construction, cause and effect, and decision-making
- KIDS GAMES FOR 2-4 PLAYERS: The Mouse Trap family game for kids is a lively indoor game for playdates, sleepovers, and rainy days.