Skateboarding has long been dismissed as a strange pastime, but because it was included at the 2023 Summer Olympics, it has exploded in popularity and become a must-do activity for children. If you have a youngster who’s shown interest in skateboarding, you’re probably looking for the most beginner-friendly skateboard available to give them!
Have no fear! You’ve come to the right place. If you’re looking for a skateboard for your child, whether it’s their first or next, we talked to specialists to get advice on what to look for when purchasing a new board and compiled an inventory of entire skateboards that we think are fantastic. They all include wheels and trucks, which are ready to go out of the package, and they’re all under $100. You can get your child a great skateboard that will last for years to come without overdoing it financially at all!
It’s important to know what components make up a complete skateboard before you make a purchase. The deck is arguably the most important component because this is where your child will stand. Boards are usually constructed from wood, bamboo, fiberglass, carbon fiber, or a combination of materials. Each material gives the board different qualities and performance characteristics.
Skateboard decks typically measure between 7 and 10 inches in width and between 22 and 24 inches in length (or longer for bigger riders). Width is important because it determines your stance. One board may offer more foot space than another, which will feel different. Your child should choose a width that feels comfortable to them. If you are an adult buying for yourself, make sure the board is long enough to support your weight and wide enough for your feet without cramping. If your child is larger, make sure their food doesn’t hang off the edge.
In addition to choosing a length and width, be aware of how the board’s concave—the curved portion between its rails—feels as well as its rocker (flatness). The concave affects your feet while you ride. A deep inward curve means your feet will sit in the center of the board and offer great stability, but a flat or shallow concave might be more comfortable. You need to find a balance between stability and comfort.
For beginners, look for a standard-style skateboard with slanted nose and tail kickups that’s relatively soft—not too hard, not too soft! The nose and tail will help your child control the board as they learn to take on and off the ground.
So let’s list our top skateboards for kids:
Table of Contents
- 1. Smibie Skateboards Pro 31 inches
- 2. METROLLER Skateboards for Beginners 31 inches
- 3. WhiteFang Skateboards for Beginners 31 inches
- 4. Merkapa Skateboard 22 inches
- 5. Magneto Kids Complete Skateboard 27.7 inches
- 6. KO-ON Skateboard / Mini Cruiser
- 7. FlyFlash Skateboard 31 inches
- What should you be looking for when purchasing a children skateboard
1. Smibie Skateboards Pro 31 inches
The Smibie Skateboards Pro 31 inches is a full-size double kick concave design skateboard with high density 7 layers of hard Canadian maple deck. It has a max load of up to 220 lbs and comes with 85A PU wheels, ABEC7 bearings, and High rebound PU bushing. Our skateboard is constructed of waterproof heat transfer printing design and is appropriate for any skill level skaters to enjoy outdoor leisure.
- Super smooth PU Wheels that easily go over rugged surfaces
- Super precise bearings and high build quality
- Thing alloy truck that is super strong
- Added grip tape and the skate is completely non-slip
- Great price
- 330 lbs load capacity
2. METROLLER Skateboards for Beginners 31 inches
The METROLLER Skateboard for beginners is a good option if you’re just starting off learning how to skateboard. It even comes already assembled so you don’t have to worry about setting the deck up yourself. It is also made out of maple wood with a 5 inch reinforced alloy truck that gives tremendous support. It is equipped with anti-shock Rebound PU car line wheels and carbon steel high-speed mute bearings matching with PU bushings for ultimate support and grip.
Features we like:
- 7 layers give support toughness
- Classic kick concave design with a sandpaper mesh that is anti-slip
- Nice designs to chose from
- Comes with a repair kit
- Also has great bearings
- 330 lbs load capacity
3. WhiteFang Skateboards for Beginners 31 inches
Looking for a great skateboard that is tough and lightweight? Look no further than the WhiteFang Skateboard 31 inches. This board is made of 7 layers of Canadian maple, can support up to 330 pounds, and comes with 5-inch magnesium alloy trucks. The smooth (52mm,95A)High rebound PU wheels are perfect for commuting, skate parks, ramps, pools, and other smooth surfaces or even rough ground. Super responsive and great for tricks. We especially like the designs and colors.
- Top build quality
- Super cool aesthetics and prints
- Ideal for most surfaces
- Classic concave design and sandpaper emery
- Great price
- 330 lbs load capacity
4. Merkapa Skateboard 22 inches
Merkapa Mini Skateboard is a great gift for kids, teens, or adults up to 220 lb. The skateboard features soft 60 mm PU wheels and ABEC-7 bearings that feature shock absorption, fine abrasion resistance, and great grip to increase speed while ensuring a smooth and comfortable ride.
LED wheels are rotary-powered and light up while riding without batteries or chargers for fun and safety at night. A super cool skateboard for smaller kids!
Features we love:
- The LED lights look amazing
- Durable and good on all surfaces
- Great shock absorption
- Ideal for any level of experience
- Smooth edges so less chance for injury
- 220 lbs load capacity
5. Magneto Kids Complete Skateboard 27.7 inches
The Magneto Skateboards are designed by skaters and inspired by Southern California. Many of their design cues come from the local surf culture and natural materials. These colorful skateboards feature a very cool and modern design. We discovered that the classic size and form, which is 31 inches long and 8 inches broad, was too lengthy and heavy for kids. So they state that this is the ideal first skateboard!
Features we love:
- Super soft, high traction 52mm 95A SHR wheels for ultimate stability
- 7 plies maple wood with classic concave design
- 5-inch aluminum tracks
- Perfect for tricks and cruises
- 200 lbs load capacity
- Made by skaters
6. KO-ON Skateboard / Mini Cruiser
This skateboard is perfect for cruising around and has a full-size 22.05×6 inch Canadian maple deck that supports up to 275 lbs. It has 6 layers, non-slip emery paper, and waterproof/fastness heat transfer printing technology. The 90A PU wheels with bearings and 95A High rebound PU bushing provide a smooth ride, while the different fun designs and colors are perfect for boys and girls. Our tests show that it is super sturdy and has great build quality.
- Great mini skateboard
- Not plastic but maple wood
- Ideal for a starter skateboard
- High-quality trucks
- Amazing designs, really super fun
7. FlyFlash Skateboard 31 inches
FlyFlash skateboard is a great gift for kids and teens, it’s made of 9 layers maple deck and 5 inch reinforced aluminum alloy trucks. It has a maximum load weight is up to 220 Lbs. FlyFlash skateboard with 55mm 100A high rebound PU wheels with ABEC-3 precision bearings, offering a perfect balance between toughness and weight. Anti-shock surface design, ideal for doing some basic skill action, great for beginner kids and teens.
Features we like:
- Comes with a repair kit
- 9 layers of maple which make it even more strong
- Great wheels and bearings
- Works great on any surface
- 220 lbs load capacity
What should you be looking for when purchasing a children skateboard
It’s negligent if I don’t remind you to acquire the best protective gear, such as a skateboard-specific helmet and knee pads, wrist guards, and elbow protectors. Once you’ve done your safety check off your list, here are some pointers for shopping for an entry-level skateboard.
Types of Skateboards
We have confirmed this with experts, but honestly, anyone who’s ridden a skateboard more than once will inform it is the best option.
Imagine it this way the soft wheels are similar to riding in a car equipped with high-quality tires. They’re like taking a ride on the rims of your car. The plastic wheels can create a rough experience, and make any move more challenging. Soft wheels help absorb bumps that occur on roads to provide a more comfortable ride. They can also facilitate a smoother stop, as well as a more effortless turning. If you are looking for an entire board (one with trucks, wheels, and deck) Make sure to purchase one that has PU wheels.
Differences between child and adult skateboards
There’s not much difference between a kid’s skateboard and an adult’s. The majority of skateboards for kids are 6-” wide but, truth be told, it’s going to be easier for kids to learn on a wider, standard 7.5″ board. A larger board provides them with more stability and something to build on.
Skateboard decks and other surfaces
Decks are the portion of the skateboard that you ride on. Plastic or wood is used to make the majority of skateboards, with Canadian maple being the most popular. On wooden boards, you’ll generally find “grip tape,” similar to sandpaper tape, which covers the surface. This tape is meant to prevent your feet from sliding off and
We would definitely recommend using grip tape for youngsters who are learning to ride, bear your eyes on the ground if have a child of a smaller size who would like to practice riding their bike by riding on their bellies or bums It can be quite uncomfortable and can even lead to injuries. For kids younger than 10 it is recommended to search for an aluminum deck, but make sure that it’s well-textured to avoid accidents.
When your child is able to take off their board and the wheels seem to be unstable or are turning too fast or slow, remember that skating is a physical sport that is all about personalization and personal experience. It’s all you have to do is adjust a few things with the skate key to achieve the perfect size.
The skate key can be described as a tiny wrench that may not come with your skateboard but it’s an essential tool for making adjustments. Be aware that a faster turn makes a skateboard easier to learn on. When your child is confident and is keen to practice your tricks, you can ease the turn to suit their needs.
If you’ve bought a board with hard plastic wheels, you will need to wear flat-soled shoes that have thin soles. Be sure to check the options with your skateboard before purchasing them or they could end up wearing two different types of shoes if the board has PU wheels and your child is riding on it without any grip tape.
Kids can learn tricks from all walks of life while standing in one spot. It’s ideal for building strength and balance while getting ready to take off on their own skating adventure once they feel fully comfortable with the grips, turning speed, bearings, size, etc. To start out using an exercise bike at home or taking it outside for some time every day just like other sporting gear although it’s best to put your kid on an exercise bike for 5 minutes in the beginning and gradually increase it over time.
The trick is to allow them to be creative in their pursuit of skating, while also taking into account that they can sustain some damage when learning new tricks. So if you’re looking forward to buying a skateboard for children or teens, ensure that you set them up with a great board and other equipment. Skateboarding has become the top choice for young individuals who want to express their personality and style by utilizing it as an art form or an activity.
Check out some other picks from Amazon also:
- Great for Kids Teens Adults - Deleven Small Skateboard Cruisers are Loved as Birthday Gifts. The Perfect Girls Skateboard for Kids Ages 6-12 and Beginner Skateboard for Kids Ages 6-12 Boy! Cruiser...
- Made by Professionals - Premium ABEC-9 Bearings, 60mm 78PU Wheels, 85A PU Bushings for Effortless Control and Balance. Sturdy and Safe Beginner Skateboards for Kids 5-8 and Great as Girls Skateboards...
- The Gift that makes you go WOW - Amazing Birthday or Holiday and Christmas Gift for Son Daughter Grandson Granddaughter. Skateboard Mini Complete Skateboards for Beginners Kid Skateboard Boy...
- Includes Free T-Tool - Each Purchase includes free Skate Tool. The most Complete Skateboards for Boys and Girls on the Market! Good Choice for Skateboard for Girls Age 10 and Great as Boys Skateboard...
- Take it Everywhere - Light Compact Small Cute Cool & Fun. Choose LED Skateboards Light Up Skateboard Wheels. Get the Vintage Cruiser Board Retro Skateboard Look. Boys Starter Skateboard for Girl 6....
- ★【The Meketec Advantage】-Let your skateboard unique. the 3.25 inch trucks with different color better than others skateboarder.
- ★ 【Performance】- 22.5 inch long x 6 inch wide deck, max load weight 200 lb, 60mm*45 pu smooth wheels, high speed ABEC-7 bearings.
- ★【High Value】- Meketec Unusual skateboard appearance outperforms many of the leading brands and high cost performance price.
- ★【What You Get】- Take this board on the park, school and road with ease, It’s the best holiday gift for kids girls beginners.
- ★【Certified Safe】- with CE certification, this well-built skateboard is safe to ride and suitable for any level of riders, no matter whether you’re a beginner or experienced rider.
- 1 Skateboard per order COMPLETE SKATEBOARD: Complete 28 inch trick skateboard with thick, durable 9-ply maple wood deck
- DESIGN MINDED: Double kicktail design provides greater control, allows for wide range of tricks, and easy braking
- SMOOTH RIDE: PVC-injected 50mm x 27mm wheels and 608ZB bearings deliver a very smooth ride! The skateboard's composite trucks and steel axle supports higher weight and faster speed
- FAMILIAR CHARACTER: Skateboard features your child's favorite superhero - Spider-Man!
- AGE AND WEIGHT: Recommended for ages 5 years and older, supports weight up to 110 lbs.
- ALAMEDA SKATEBOARD: A sturdy and reliable 31x8 inch 7-ply Canadian Maple Skateboard deck features high rebound polyurethane wheels and the ideal amount of concave to help provide the perfect flick on...
- DURABLE BUILD: 5.5-inch aluminum alloy trucks with carbon steel kingpins and high rebound polyurethane bushings are designed to take a lashing so you can keep smashing. This board is durable;...
- PREMIUM BEARINGS: Our ABEC-7 precision chrome bearings also come equipped with rubber dust covers that help to protect against dirt and grime, while making them easy to clean to keep you rollin’...
- SMOOTH & EASY TO CONTROL: Kick, push and coast with our high rebound polyurethane wheels that provide phenomenal roll and grip on an array of different surfaces and speeds. The grip tape and moderate...
- UNIQUE DESIGNS: Available in an array of designs to suit any rider's unique style. Delivered from us to you fully assembled and ready to ride right out of the box.
- Need a Ride? The skateboards comes fully assembled,length 22 inch width 6.0 inch, make this board to ride with plenty of room.The deck start off with a high strength Polymer that has enough...
- Looking for Smooth Glide？The wheels are polyurethane that are slightly larger than typical 22" board so you can get over those small imperfections in the road,Size-59mm Softness-83A.The bearings are...
- Wanna be more close with your kids? When you are acompany your kids to learn the skateboard,they will be more brave and safe,will thank you and love you more.Since 2020,we all have suffered a rough...
- Excellent non-slip matte material. In order to provide customers with a better experience, we do not hesitate to use the best and highest quality matte materials at present to make and develop this...
- Fits for you: The mini cruiser skateboard suits for kids age 3&up,also suit for teens under 18,max load bearing 198lb.Small size and lightweight,you can carry it wherever you want to go easily fits...
- GET TRICKS FASTER: With Skater Trainers, you will learn ollies, kickflips, and more in no time! Our Skate trainer accessories simply stretch over your wheels and stop them from rolling so you can...
- THE PERFECT GIFT: Easter basket stuffers for Teens Boys, Kids Ages 8-12, Tweens, Men, Adults, Girls, or Anyone. Impress your friends with new tricks. Be the next Tony Hawk Pro Skater or reclaim your...
- THEY REALLY WORK: Recommended by top Skate Instructors, PARENTS, and SKATERS just like you. Check out our awesome reviews! We have quickly become THE WORLDS TOP SKATEBOARD ACESSORIES for learning...
- FITS ALMOST ANY SKATEBOARD WHEELS: Skater Trainers are durable, easy-to-use, and work on standard trick skateboards, penny, cruiser boards, old school decks, and even most longboards. Fits 48mm-70mm...
- PERFECT FOR ALL AGES: Beginners love how fast they can learn tricks with Skater Trainers. TEENS can impress their friends with their cool new tricks, and ADULT skaters who are getting back on the...
- 【High Performance】Our cruiser skateboards can be used as soon as it is received,without assembly.skateboard is made of high-quality PP plastic,78apu wheels,high-performance ABEC-7 bearings and 3...
- 【Illuminating Kids skateboards】Suitable for indoor and outdoor sports,with a flashing wheel design with illuminating colorful lights.Safe self-generating power wheels without andy battery.Glowing...
- 【Easy To Carry】The 21.73 * 5.9 inch mini cruiser skateboard for kids is lightweight,portable and able to fit in a backpack for easy movement,is a perfect partner for outdoor activities and short...
- 【Fashionable Patterns 】The color and graphic design on the board are very creative and eye-catching,and you will definitely stand out from your peers.And the pattern uses heat transfer printing...
- 【Devoted Customer Service and After-Sales Protection】We truly care about your customer experience and product experience.We want you to be completely stoked with your new board,If you have any...