I’m sure a lot of you have experienced sore and cracked nipples while breastfeeding. I have had this issue as well, and it certainly isn’t a joke! While breastfeeding was a joy, pumping milk while having my nipples sucked on during feeding certainly took a toll only my breasts, particularly the nipple area. Fortunately, I found out about the best nipple creams for breastfeeding!
But what exactly do these nipple creams do and what are the best ones to invest in today? Read on as I show you the top five nipple creams to check out for healthier and more comfortable nipples.
Best Nipple Creams for Breastfeeding – The Ultimate List
1. Motherlove Nipple Cream Certified Organic Salve for Sore Cracked Nursing Nipples
I recommend the Motherlove Nipple Cream for sore and cracked nipples because of its cruelty-free salve that offers the soothing relief as soon as you use it. It feels great while softening the skin, which relieves me from the pain. I also love the excellent packaging, a glass jar which preserves the balm well.
The fact that it’s organic and made of natural ingredients got to me the most, as I don’t need to wipe it off before breastfeeding.
It has the ideal consistency and helps the pain AND has my nipples look even better in time. I have also noticed that my baby latches on better after using the cream, so I can confidently say it’s a must-buy.
- Cool packaging
- Easy to put on and spread
- Only need a bit of balm
- Relieves sore nipples quickly
- Organic and cruelty-free
- Too thick and sticky for some
- Nipples would feel a bit raw when pumping
2. Medela Tender Care Lanolin Nipple Cream for Breastfeeding
Medela is another well-known brand for baby products out there, with its nipple crew being proven effective. It has lanolin, which protects and moisturizes my nipples at the same time.
The cream is very smooth and comforting to apply, as it glides gently and smoothly. I feel no pain when rubbing it on my nipples, and I felt immediate relief! The consistency is perfect, and I don’t need to wash it off before breastfeeding.
It has a smart packaging with the tube bottle and is made out of the safe and natural ingredients a mother needs for good health for both her and the baby. All in all, a good buy for those who want the mess-free application.
- Relieves both pains and cracked nipples quickly
- Not too gooey or sticky
- Affordable price
- Hypoallergenic and natural ingredients
- No need to wash off
- Slight burning sensation when applying
- Stains clothes
- Slightly strong odor
3. Organic Nipple Butter Breastfeeding Cream by Earth Mama
If you want something all-natural, then I would recommend Earth Mama Angel Baby’s Nipple Cream. It’s made out of the organic ingredients rich in calendula.
That makes it NOT sticky and non-irritating. It’s the first non-GMO nipple cream with the organic and safe ingredients made for you and your baby. And with its herbal blend, it soothes the nipples in no time.
I am surprised not only at its affordable price but the fact that it’s satisfying and gives me the results immediately. NO pain felt at all and honestly better than using creams with lanolin. For mothers on a budget, this one’s for you!
- Organic and non-GMO ingredients
- Affordable price
- Eased sore nipples immediately
- Non-sticky consistency
- It has weird round balls from temperature fluctuations
- Product a bit chunky at first
4. Lansinoh Lanolin Nipple Cream for Breastfeeding
Lansinoh is best known for many breastfeeding moms because of the trust and reputation they built.
In fact, this nipple cream is known as the number one created by the Lactation Consultants and medical professionals in the United States!
I recommend this as it can soothe and protect sore nipples without the need to wash it off while breastfeeding. It’s also made out of the natural, preservative-free, and hypoallergenic ingredients trusted by mothers.
The tube packaging makes it easy to squeeze out only a bit of the cream, which is a huge plus. I also like how versatile it is, as it would also moisturize various parts of my body. Pure and efficient, this is another must-buy for sore or dry nipples!
- Moisturizes lips and eyes
- Rich and efficient in moisturizing
- Easy to use packaging
- Hypoallergenic and no preservatives
- Relieves pain of sore nipples
- Some babies may not like it
- Somewhat pricey
5. Bella B Nipple Nurture Butter
This is another affordable and smart buy because of its tube packaging and the fact that it uses better ingredients than many popular types of nipple creams out there.
Instead of lanolin, Bella B uses a plant-based alternative, which offers the same relief and comfort to your nipples. There is no taste or smell to it and is made out of the edible ingredients that your baby will be comfortable with.
It contains shea, cocoa, avocado, and mango oil for the all-natural and safe nipple cream that would melt fast and stay put without the goo.
Thick and rich, I am confident in saying that this is yet another affordable purchase for those who want something simple and effective.
- No goo but with rich consistency
- Easy to melt and stays on nipples
- Nice packaging
- No taste or smell
- All-natural ingredients
- Soothes nipples fast
- A bit chunky at first
- A bit tricky to get out of the tube
What Are Nipple Creams?
Let me tell you my story and the importance of why I wanted to let you know about the best remedies to use for your nipples.
Once I gave birth, I began breastfeeding my little one. But after a few feedings, I started to experience extreme discomfort from sore nipples no matter what I did!
I’ve done home remedies to treat the pain, and though moisturizers did help with the cracks, I know it wouldn’t be healthy for my baby.
That’s when I did some research and found out that many manufacturers sold nipple creams made especially for breastfeeding!
Nipple creams take the same form and features as moisturizers, having the similar consistency and use. But what makes these different is its content.
Nipple creams are made from natural ingredients, safe for your nipples and the baby. They are also known as salves or ointments, moisturizing and protecting your nipples from the soreness due to your baby’s sucking.
Many mothers out there have experienced the similar situation as I have, which is why I do NOT want you to stay in pain forever! That’s why I rounded up these five products I tried and tested.
I also included more research for you to know all about nipple cream and treating sore nipples. All to help you out and provide you the information you need to stay comforted while feeding your little one.
Why Should You Use Nipple Creams?
What are the advantages nipple creams have to offer as compared to leaving your nipples be or using other home remedies? Here are the best things using nipple creams have done to many mothers around the world:
- Nipple creams will offer protection for your nipples, which will help you breastfeed with confidence and no worries of the cracks and soreness afterward.
- They can soothe your nipples and lessen the pain, all thanks to the soothing properties of natural ingredients.
- You won’t need to worry about the nipple creams being unsafe for the baby. Nipple creams are made out of natural ingredients that are okay for your little one to suck on. And with its hypoallergenic properties, your nipples won’t be affected or allergic to the cream.
- Not only do nipple creams help with the cracks and soreness, but they do have my breasts look better, so I am more confident with my body, mainly my breasts, because of it!
How to Soothe Sore Nipples
Now that you know about the wonders of nipple creams, what are ways on how to ensure effectivity and other tips to relieve your sore nipples? Here are some tips you can follow:
- You may be suffering from sore nipples because of the way you feed your baby. Guide him to latch onto your breast properly by checking to see if your little one’s taking the beast back into the mouth as you feed him. It needs to be wide enough for the nipple to reach the back of your baby’s mouth, which is close to the soft palate.
- Avoid pulling your nipple out in the middle of breastfeeding. When you are done breastfeeding, insert your finger in the corner of your little one’s mouth to break the suction.
- Breastfeed in a warm room to avoid cold air exposure. Avoid swimming as well to prevent dry nipples.
Here is an excellent video showing you more ways on how to relieve sore and cracked nipples:
How to Choose the Best Nipple Creams for Breastfeeding
So nipple creams are an effective solution to your discomforts while breastfeeding, but how will you know which one is the best for you? Check these tips and factors to consider when selecting the best nipple creams for breastfeeding:
- Your nipple cream should have the natural properties and ingredients which keep your nipples protected and moisturized. Go for nipple creams made out of lanolin, a natural and hypoallergenic substance. Other ingredients that I would love to see in creams would be cocoa or shea butter, aloe vera, as well as vitamin E, which are known to soothe skin.
- NO strong scents, as much as possible! They may be off-putting or toxic for your little one when breastfeeding.
- I like creams that aren’t very sticky or thick, with the consistency of moisturizers. But do take note that thicker creams can give better comfort, so that’s entirely up to you.
- Focus on the healthy side of nipple creams, which should be safe for you and your baby.
I recommend you to get nipple creams that don’t need to be washed before breastfeeding to lessen the aggravation of your nipples.
If you’re looking for the best way to soothe sore or cracked nipples for breastfeeding, then I recommend you to try nipple creams, which are made out of nontoxic ingredients that will heal and comfort your nipples, making them ready for more breastfeeding or pumping sessions. Not only is it easy to apply, but they are deemed useful with the safe ingredients for both you and your baby!
Out of all the nipple creams tried and tested, the best one would have to go to the Motherlove Nipple Cream Certified Organic Salve. You have assured the certified USDA organic and cruelty-free herbal salve that is safe to use and good for eco-friendly moms out there. The balm isn’t only friendly for you and your baby, but it softens the skin to relieve your pain after breastfeeding.
With its all-natural ingredients that do not need to be washed off, you are guaranteed satisfaction without a doubt. They even come with a money back guarantee! I would recommend this nipple cream the most for its natural effect that works for many moms around the world.
I hope that this article on the best nipple creams helped you become more knowledgeable on what you should invest in today. So don’t wait any longer and start checking up on any of these nipple creams to use as soon as possible!
If you have any questions or would like to share your tips and experiences with using nipple creams for breastfeeding, then comment down below. I would love to hear what you have to think.