The safety of kids always makes us nervous for us too mischievous. Let the kids be fully developed by freely exploring the world over with smart protection from the best baby gates for stairs.
If you reside in a multi-story residence, you will need gates whenever your little one begins crawling around (or scooting) – typically around 7-8 weeks. Carpeted stairs are somewhat more forgiving, but wooden staircases can be rather treacherous, particularly for infants wearing socks. Here is the top 15 best baby gate for stairs parents can buy.
Table of Contents
- List of 15 Best Baby Gates For Stairs Reviews
- 1. Safety Innovations No Hole Stairway Baby Gate Mounting Kit
- 2. Munchkin Auto Close Pressure Mount Baby Gates for Stairs
- 3. Fabric Baby Gates for Stairs with Banisters
- 4. The Stair Barrier Baby and Pet Gate – Wall-to-Banister
- 5. Fairy Baby Extra Wide Baby Gate with Extensions for Stairs
- 6. The North States 42″ Wide Stairway Swing Baby Gates for Stairs
- 7. The North States 42.6″ Wide Portable Traveler Baby Gate for Stairs
- 8. Baby Gates for Stairs, Extra Wide Pressure Mounted Safety Gates
- 9. Safety 1st Easy Install Metal Baby Gate with Pressure Mount Fastening
- 10. Kidco Safeway Gate, Top of Stairs Gate
- 11. 2019 New Retractable Baby Gate – Extra Wide Baby Safety Gate
- 12. Munchkin Loft Aluminum Hardware Mount Baby Gate for Stairs
- 13. Evenflo Easy Walk-Thru Top-of-Stairs Gate
- 14. Baby Trend Tall Pressure Fit Wood and Metal Gate, Espresso
- 15. Summer Infant Banister to Banister Universal Gate Mounting Kit
- Buying Guide
List of 15 Best Baby Gates For Stairs Reviews
1. Safety Innovations No Hole Stairway Baby Gate Mounting Kit
- Patented Deluxe Hole-Free Gate Mounting Kit allows you to set up safety gates to newel posts without drilling into them.
- Our kit operates with posts that are 2 3/4″ to 3 5/8″ wide. Each kit includes mounting wood and a hardware place to mount one facet of a gate. If you’re using the bracket using a stressed gate you need to mount the wall cups the gate manufacturer provides to the vertical wood strip.
- If your post is round in the bottom and top please contact us and we will send you a second pair of round adapters at no cost. Please bear in mind that the bracket will take up about 1 1/2 inches of your opening.
- If you’re using two mounts it’s going to take up about 3 inches. Bear this in mind when you’re deciding what size gate to buy.
2. Munchkin Auto Close Pressure Mount Baby Gates for Stairs
- You CAN have style and security all in one. The Auto Close Metal Safety Gate by Munchkin is the best in baby gate technology, with a sleek steel design that retains little ones safe.
- Equipped with a unique gravity-fed hinge, the Auto Close does precisely what its name implies closes automatically when the handle is released. And with a little extra nudge in the ideal direction, the door stays open, because every parent could use an excess pair of hands.
- Ideal for use in doorways, stairways, and hallways, that this infant gate stands 29.5″ tall and is easy to operate using the pull and lift manage.
- The comprised two 2.75 inch extensions will extend this gate around 37.8 inches. Additional extensions may be bought to fit openings up to 54″ wide. Suitable for children 6 to 24 months.
3. Fabric Baby Gates for Stairs with Banisters
- The infant gates for stairs bannister to bannister design is simple to set up with no drilling needed.
- The baby gate for stairs is ideal for home and travel and comes with a carry bag.
4. The Stair Barrier Baby and Pet Gate – Wall-to-Banister
- The Stair Barrier delivers a secure, appealing, and American Made solution for securing staircases with one or more bannisters.
- Stair Barriers are specifically designed for use in the base of staircases, measure 32″ tall, and constructed with Class 1 Upholstery grade material.
- The Stair Barrier’s pet and baby gates have passed all ASTM safety tests for gates and enclosures.
5. Fairy Baby Extra Wide Baby Gate with Extensions for Stairs
- The gate WILL appear BENT prior setup. There’ll be a GAP in the handle prior to setup.
- Both of these concerns will be eliminated when the gate is properly installed in your doorway.
- Please measure your opening before purchase to ensure proper fit.
6. The North States 42″ Wide Stairway Swing Baby Gates for Stairs
- Stairway Swing Gate is the best baby gate to the top of stairs or between chambers.
- All hardware needed for installation is included and when not in use, simply remove the security gate in the hinge and toenails out of the way.
7. The North States 42.6″ Wide Portable Traveler Baby Gate for Stairs
- Keep your child safe and secure with the Portable Traveler Gate.
- Equipped with this in mind, this versatile safety gate is designed to safely block doorways, hallways, and other spaces.
8. Baby Gates for Stairs, Extra Wide Pressure Mounted Safety Gates
- Pressure fit corrected by four adjustable bolts, not require drilling, easy install, nicely shield wall and stair rail, simple to remove when required.
- The Stay-Open attribute is excellent for when you need your gate to stay completely opened; it is ideal for occasions as soon as your hands are full, you are clearing the table or entertaining guests.
- Opening the gate is a one-handed operation, simply slide the button and lift the door. Automatic close indoor gates, free palms, and save time. Open from both two sides, never confuse and effortless use.
9. Safety 1st Easy Install Metal Baby Gate with Pressure Mount Fastening
- Visual red/green indicator lets the parent know the gate is installed safely. The tools-free layout makes for a quick and easy install.
- Adults can quickly open with one hand, while the two-action handle remains tough for little fingers to release. Baby and pet gate to be used between chambers, indoors or bottom of stairs.
10. Kidco Safeway Gate, Top of Stairs Gate
- Easy one hand adult operation. Quick release hardware allows the gate to be easily removed when not required.
- Directional stop prevents the gate from swinging out over stairs.
- Hinge side hardware can be mounted on an angled surface. Heavy-duty steel construction.
11. 2019 New Retractable Baby Gate – Extra Wide Baby Safety Gate
- Protecting them is the priority which makes it simple is our speciality.
12. Munchkin Loft Aluminum Hardware Mount Baby Gate for Stairs
- An baby safety gate that won’t only please your keen design sensibilities but also offer the latest in safety gate technology.
- The Loft Gate out of Munchkin comes with a sleek, contemporary design and safety features that adapt to the suit of your home.
- The Indexed Sizing System adjusts for a perfect vertical fit when walls are not level and the Integrated Tuning System allows for fast and easy width adjustments with pre-set index positions.
- The quick-release wall mount enables the gate to be removed and replaced quickly for high traffic times or entertaining. Use it almost Everyplace at home – top of stairs, the base of stairs, or between rooms.
- The dual locking method on the integrated handle is easy for adults to use, but hard for a kid.
13. Evenflo Easy Walk-Thru Top-of-Stairs Gate
- The Evenflo Easy Walk-Thru Top-of-Stairs Gate is a durable, professionally designed safety gate acceptable for kids and pets.
- It’s simple to install and contains several security features.
14. Baby Trend Tall Pressure Fit Wood and Metal Gate, Espresso
- Pressure fit dark hardwood and metal security gate fits openings 29.5″ to 40.5″ and 29.5″ tall.
- Easy to adjust and easy to install pressure-mounted gate, no drilling or screwing setup. Swings open in either way.
Don’t miss our review of the latest baby crib bumpers on the market.
15. Summer Infant Banister to Banister Universal Gate Mounting Kit
- This innovative kit keeps the baby safe while shielding your home’s woodwork and décor.
- This Universal kit provides simple banister-to-banister and banister-to-wall installation of most hardware and pressure-mounted gates (up to 37″ tall) without the need to drill into banisters.
By standard, infant gates have to be 22-inches tall. To decrease the danger of your baby climbing over the gate, then you are going to want to purchase one at your kid’s height. As soon as your child is about two years old or 3 feet tall, then you’ll probably no longer desire a baby gate for stairs. However, in the meantime, you will need to be certain that the gate is not easy for your child to jump over and risk falling.
Most baby gates are made from plastic, metal, or wood, but it does not mean that is all it is made of – some plastics comprise toxins and substances that are not safe for your child. As a hint, if you are looking for a baby gate made from plastic, then make certain it’s PVC-free of polyvinyl chloride that could be harmful to kids. Additionally, beware of how your child is installed. Loose screws or sharp ends could be harmful.
Baby gate for stairs slots must be less than three inches apart to prevent your child’s arms, legs, hands, or mind from becoming stuck in between. Make sure you examine your manufacturer’s manual and confirm the slat space before purchasing to decrease this threat. You will also need to think about a baby gate using a plastic telescopic railing to stop accidental pinches.
Meets U.S. criteria
For reassurance, the safest baby gates for stairs have a Juvenile Products Manufacturers Association (JPMA) certificate. This certificate is your stamp of acceptance your baby gate satisfies each of the testing and requirements of the American Society for Testing and Materials. If you are unsure whether your baby gate’s maker is accepted, check the certified Product Directory’ from the infant gate’s maker set on the JPMA site.
Are baby gates safe?
Yes, they are. Baby gates can prevent babies from falling off the stairs. You can also use them to block kids’ paths to the household areas you do not want them accessing.
Why is the baby gate the best protective solution for stairs?
Many experts advise parents to use baby gates to prevent accidental injuries. It will also relieve you from stress and worries as a parent. These gates are also very useful if you want to create your kid’s play zone in areas with potential risks of injuries for the baby, such as the kitchen.
When should I start using baby gates for stairs?
It is recommended to install these gates when kids are between six months and two years of age. That’s the period when toddlers start exploring their households. After they reach two years of age, they can either move or climb over protective gates.
It is important to use these gates on both sides of the stairs. If you decide to opt for an expendable gate, it is better to put it on the bottom since they are light, and the baby can flip it over.
What type of baby gate should I use?
At the top of the stairs, you want to go for the high-quality protective gate. Many modern baby gates have hinges that you can mount on angled surfaces. These are quite simple for installation, and we recommend KidCo Safeway gate. For the bottom of the stairs, you can go for most pressure-mounted solutions.
Baby gates for stairs will children to secure areas, and we can certainly care for children when you doing several other tasks. The infant gates for stairs will make us more reassured to allow children to grow freely instead of covering them overly much. Surely through this guide, you’ve had a smart choice for your baby gates for stairs merchandise, right?
Before you go, check out some other interesting choices available on Amazon right now:
- 👼【No more baby gate escapes】 The Cumbor extra wide baby gate is 30.5 Inch tall and 29.5 Inch- 51.6 Inch wide. Once closed, it is hard for your kids to climb over it. Made of heavy-duty steel,...
- 👼【Safeguard your little monkey】 Are you still worried that your little monkey may get hurt while climbing up and down the stairs or entering the kitchen? Cumbor safety gate will be your...
- 👼【Auto close & one-handed operation】 You can, of course, hold the baby in one hand and open the gate with the other hand, because we adopted a unique auto close design. Meanwhile, the opening...
- 👼【Easy to Install & wall friendly】Pressure mount enables easy assembly and disassembly, is convenient and strong, and protects your wall from damage, leaving it clean and intact, even after the...
- 👼【Adjustable size & extra wide】Apart from the gate, we also have 3 extensions (2.75 Inch, 5.5 Inch & 11 Inch) to go with it. The maximum width is 51.6 Inch, while the minimum is 29.5 Inch...
- Easy to open with one hand by parents but difficult for children, this Safety 1st gate is designed to provide additional height protection and is great for homes with babies and pets
- Adjust the gate to fit wide doorways and openings ranging from 29 to 47 inches wide. Pressure-mounted installation requires no tools, drilling, or hardware and allows for quick and easy setup in doors...
- The SecureTech pressure indicator tells you at a glance when the gate's pressure needs adjusting for extra safety
- Easily create a safe space for children in your home by using this 36-inch-high adjustable baby gate in doorways, hallways, staircases, and more
- Includes one pressure-mounted baby gate
- MEASURE YOUR OPENING BEFORE PURCHASING - This gate kit with extensions fits openings 29.5-36.5” using the included 3.5” extension panel. It will not fit any opening smaller than 29.5". If your...
- QUICK, EASY, VERSATILE – Dreambaby Liberty pressure mounted gates are suitable for doorways and hallways sized 29.5-36.5" wide and are 30" tall. Using optional extensions, sold separately, they can...
- ONE HANDED OPERATION – The One-Handed operation is fantastic for times when you’re holding your child and the double locking feature ensures extra security to help keep your child safer
- SMART STAY-OPEN – For those times when your hands are full while bringing in the groceries or toting around the laundry basket, the Stay-Open feature is sure to become your best friend. Just swing...
- EASY INSTALLATION - Dreambaby Liberty gates are pressure-mounted, which means fuss free installation with no screws or drilling required – great for any home and perfect for temporary or rental...
- NEW NAME - SAME GREAT BRAND YOU TRUST: The Extra-Wide Wire Mesh Gate is specially designed for wide openings. This baby gate will adjust to fit openings 29.5" to 50" wide and is an extra-tall 32"...
- EASY TO INSTALL: The safety gate pressure mounts easily and securely without the use of hardware. Simply position and lock in place.
- STYLISH AND DEPENDABLE: Sturdy hardwood frame surrounds rigid vinyl-coated wire mesh panels. A child gate with a traditional look and all the durability you need.
- EASY ON WALLS: Walls will remain damage free with No-Mar rubber bumpers that keep the safety gate in place without marking walls.
- BABY SAFE: Save for babies ages 6-24 months. Proudly assembled in USA with American Hardwood.
- NEW NAME - SAME GREAT BRAND YOU TRUST: The Toddleroo by North States Supergate Ergo Baby Gate is a durable gate designed to be difficult for kids to climb and securely block doorways, stairways and...
- EASY TO INSTALL: The Supergate Ergo Baby Gate is versatile and easy to install. To use as a quick setup pressure mount baby gate, simply expand the gate to fit your opening and lock the handle. Or use...
- GREAT FOR MOST OPENINGS: Easy to adjust and works for most openings. The Supergate Ergo Baby Gate can be adjusted to fit opening from 26 to 42 inches wide.Place gate on floor with handle on the...
- STYLISH AND DEPENDABLE: Comes in an ivory finish and fits seamlessly in any of your standard openings. The durable, American-made plastic is sturdy and hard to climb!
- BABY SAFE: Safe for babies ages 6-24 months. Proudly made in the USA.
- EXTRA WIDE: Expands to stairways and openings between 29-43 inches wide. Stands 30.5 inches tall. Wall mounted gate.
- VALUE BUNDLE: Includes gate, mounted level poles, banister corner protectors (16), square banister adapters (4), plastic wall spacers (6), round banister adapters (1), and wall mounting hardware
- ADJUSTABLE: Perfect for doorway, hallway and top or bottom of stair use. Gate can quickly be removed out of the opening for easy storage.Wipes clean
- DURABLE AND CONVENIENT: The all steel design is durable and convenient with a walk-through door. Please see PDF user guide for set up assistance.No Assembly Required
- SAFETY: Designed with safety-lock, meets all safety standard. Hardware mounted added security. Perfect for children 6-24 months. Great for pets too.
- Extra tall: The summer multi-use decorative extra tall Walk-Thru baby gate can be installed in doorways or at the top or bottom of stairways. It fits openings 28.5" To 48" Wide. Standing an impressive...
- Two installation options: install this baby gate for stairs safely with the included hardware kit. Or set it up in a doorway by using the no-drill pressure mount system with wall cups.
- Convenient door: perfect for when your hands are full, this baby gate with 19" Wide door is equipped with a hold-open feature that helps keep the door open, and an auto-close that Shuts it behind you.
- Safe and secure: you'll know your baby or pet can explore safely when this baby gate with door is latched securely. The door stopper helps prevent the door from swinging outward when installed over...
- Stylish look: This metal safety gate with a Black finish Features an eye-catching arch, so you can childproof your home in style.